Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 79101112 LastLast

Thread: Young Han Solo Star Wars Anthology movie (title TBA)

1. R1 was terrible in every way, it is no easy feat to be worse than that.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Donald Glover was fucking great though.
    Honestly I thought it was kind of jarring that while Ehrenreich was doing the Chris Pine Captain Kirk, "capture the spirit of the character but make it your own" thing (with mixed results), Glover was straight-up doing a Billy Dee Williams impression. Don't get me wrong, he was really entertaining as always, but it just felt... weird, like they didn't agree on what movie they were making. And noticing that kind of thing always hurts the suspension of disbelief.

It was also a really weird decision to make all those times people have said the Falcon is practically a character in and of itself literally true... in a movie set before its prior appearances, where the presence of a very opinionated sentient AI inside the ship's computer system was never even slightly hinted at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. It didn’t knock it out of the park but Solo was enjoyable. I’d be in for more. I swear to god if the thing that is teased near the end doesn’t have more fuck all of this shit for good.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

4. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    It was also a really weird decision to make all those times people have said the Falcon is practically a character in and of itself literally true... in a movie set before its prior appearances, where the presence of a very opinionated sentient AI inside the ship's computer system was never even slightly hinted at.
    Oh you mean like when 3P0 asks where the ships computer learned to talk? That kind of hint?

5. It was better than Rogue One by a good sight.

I usually enjoy Expensive Sci Fi Effects Movies just to see the visuals realized onscreen. This delivered on a Black Hole Elder God and a Space Yacht, I'm pretty happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. This was much better than I thought it was going to be based on the trailers. Honestly for me the highlight of the movie was Glover as Lando. There were times his mannerisms, and voice were so spot on I thought I was watching a young Billy D. Ehrenreich just fell completely flat for me. I just didn't buy him as Han and it kept pulling me out of moments. It's almost like there was too much energy there, Han in the OT feels so laid back most the time, it just felt off. Overall the movie was good, leaps and bounds better than the shit called Last Jedi. They're sending out a weird mixed message though, and I'm not surprised this tanked at the BO. The them of the last movie in this franchise that just came out 6 months ago was Kill off and forget the old, only the new matters, and then they release a nostalgia grab all about the old characters. Really conflicted messages here.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Oh you mean like when 3P0 asks where the ships computer learned to talk? That kind of hint?
    Haha, I had to remind my wife about that scene and she hung her head in shame. Now I get to tease her about her Star Wars cred.

This movie was okay. Definitely some really poor writing at a couple of points. Definitely some groan-inducing apologies to the "it took me right out of the movie" crowd. Definitely a surprise cameo. Definitely things we already knew on screen. The most compelling part of the film for me was a piece of information we didn't know, though: Why Chewie decides to stay with Han after being freed instead of heading off to find other Wookies. The idea of "he owes him" wasn't good enough for me, and I think the film handled the events on WW1 planet and Kessel quite well.

Regarding the cameo and events at the end, though, I'm now worried about Ep 9. I love the direction Last Jedi took regarding the Force, and Rey's parents. The idea of her being like those slave kids, and people being Force-sensitive, is great. I hate chosen ones and lineages and crap. I know Maul isn't Sith any more, but he would be drawn to someone who is Force-sensitive and I get the sense that Qi'ra is. My concern is that after the fans got all butthurt about Last Jedi, they might walk some of that stuff back: Qi'ra finds Han between Return and Force Awakens, and is a component of Han & Leia's split - producing a child, Rey. It would be a compromise in that, at least, Qi'ra would be Force-sensitive (and Han may be, to some extent) but Rey would still be from known character stock instead of an unknown. Yes, I know there's already some kind of timeline from the comics and books, but the movies could easily invalidate that.

Anyway, worth a watch.

8. I just thought it was really weird that Maul is a big-deal crime lord, when by the time of Rebels he’s basically a space hobo. The position he’s in as of Solo isn’t one you survive getting forced out of. (But then again I guess most people don’t survive getting sliced in half, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

9. If you think that they're going to treat the cartoons as canon over whatever they decide is going to be in a movie, you're nuts. They'll cherry pick what they want and throw the rest in the trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

they should just put it all in the trash