Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Han Solo Star Wars Anthology movie (title TBA)

1. The new shit doesn't matter. They'll make their money back selling some loser his fiftieth version of a Luke doll.

2. Also, Last Jedi did $1.3 billion at the box office alone. I imagine their take from that plus home sales is going to clear $500 million at least. Same with Force Awakens. Add in all the licensing from those movies and they've probably made 1/3-1/2 of their investment back just on those two movies alone. Shit, I forgot about Rogue One. That probably added a hundred mil or so to the pot.

They're like the Acclaim of movies. The content doesn't matter, just the name on the box. Regardless of how fans react, they still show up and throw their money down.

edit: Toy sales were down last year, but they still did $700 million in sales. $4 billion kinda seems like a deal.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 12 Apr 2018 at 11:10 AM.

3. Yes, that's absolutely right. George Lucas did his best to kill the brand with the Special Editions and the Prequels, and it's still evergreen. It just seems like they'd have a plan with those costs.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

4. When there aren't even enough snappy Solo lines to fill a two minute trailer...

All the writing is like, "Are you ready now to go into outer space, Chewbacca?"

5. Don't forget the Disney attraction too, storm troopers marching through the kingdom yo.

6. SOLO: So there it is: The Millennium Falcon™.

CHEWBACCA: GWOOOG!

SOLO: I agree, Chewbacca. It is a good spaceship.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 12 Apr 2018 at 12:48 PM.

Lol, Han us getting the mickey, Donald, chipdale treatment.

8. Chewby, plz.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    LoTR is only 3 movies, the Hobbits are trash and should have been no more than 2 movies. The padding in those 3 movies is astounding.
    So 3 good movies before it fell off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Bond, James Bond.
    I don't think the Bond franchise made it more than 3 films without needing a recast or the quality dropping significantly. The current Bond w Daniel Craig was hot and cold (1 and 3 were good, 2 was meh, and 4 was just straight up awful).

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Yes, that's absolutely right. George Lucas did his best to kill the brand with the Special Editions and the Prequels, and it's still evergreen. It just seems like they'd have a plan with those costs.
    I'd give the original trilogy their due because of the time they were released—but there's no denying the 90s trilogy tanked a lot of the investment people had in the series.

I think Harry Potter is the closest thing (8 decent to great movies in a row) to Marvel's 18 film batting streak. The worst was almost certainly Age of Ultron, but its biggest criticism was that it simply didn't carry the larger story forward. Even movies I thought I disliked, like the original Thor, held up well. The original Thor somehow got better with age. With Avenger Infinity War looming I think I'm just realizing the magnitude of these movies, and contrasting that with how seemingly typical it is for Hollywood to be unable to string together even a good trilogy, let alone marathon universe franchise like this.

I guess I wish Star Wars had this kind of depth of catalogue to it. I thought The Force Awakens and Rogue One were good (though I didn't like Rogue One, I felt it was pretty objectively a well made movie). I'm disappointed we can't have deeper universes in film, I guess. Even DC can't get their shit sorted out. I'm interested to see where the Star Wars movie directly after the conclusion of this trilogy takes the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Also, Last Jedi did $1.3 billion at the box office alone. I imagine their take from that plus home sales is going to clear $500 million at least. Same with Force Awakens. Add in all the licensing from those movies and they've probably made 1/3-1/2 of their investment back just on those two movies alone. Shit, I forgot about Rogue One. That probably added a hundred mil or so to the pot.

They're like the Acclaim of movies. The content doesn't matter, just the name on the box. Regardless of how fans react, they still show up and throw their money down.

edit: Toy sales were down last year, but they still did $700 million in sales. $4 billion kinda seems like a deal.
    Yeah. If you look solely at EBITDA (which is often how these deals are initially evaluated) it's a great deal. Like... Disney could have made their 4 billion investment back in 3 years with this deal. I'm surprised it went for $4b and not $5-8b. I think the quality and frequency of releases is going to start diminishing the "special attraction" luster of brand a bit
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Apr 2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Connery’s fourth Bond was Thunderball. Adjusted for inflation it’s the second highest grossing Bond film.