Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus Recommendations

1. Antivirus Recommendations

I just got a new Windows 8.1 laptop and the free trial of McAfee is ending in the next day or so. Any recommendations for a decent free or cheap antivirus program? I don't normally go trolling about the deeper, darker parts of the web so I wouldn't call my browsing habits high-risk or anything.

Thanks.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I'd read enough articles on antivirus software that I removed what I had (avast) altogether and haven't looked back since.
    I run Super Anti Spyware weekly and Malwarebytes monthly. I let Windows defender do its deal overnight.
    It's been six months and the only consequence has been that my laptop runs faster.

3. Hmm! Something to think on. Thanks.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. I just run Malwarebytes.

I use Avast, and it actually helped me recently. Like a dumbass, I installed Java so I could chat with TNLers during E3. Sure enough, it got infected. Avast had it cleaned up with minimal effort, though it did take a long time for the full scan.

6. If you're a Comcast customer, you should be able to get a free Norton Security Suite license. Norton used to be bloated years ago, but it runs fast for me and is very reliable and hassle-free.

If you aren't with Comcast, maybe your ISP provides a similar option. It's worth checking into.

7. Thanks guys. All great suggestions.

8. ESET is actually great, despite Micro Center guys hawking it like a cell phone at Radio Shack!

I'm glad you mentioned that, Nick. Time Warner has the same deal, but I had neglected to reinstall it after some rebuild some time.

wait, nick is alive?