Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCA Selectavision Player

1. PC RCA Selectavision Player

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for a CED player and was hoping one of you nerds had one in box sitting in your closet. I'd prefer a SJT400, SJT400X or SKT400 as these have a remote, stereo output and coaxial & composite outputs, but would rather go for 'like new' condition and trust you guys take care of your things.

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. I used to have a fairly large CED collection but that is a medium that you destroy a little bit more each time you watch it. It's basically a diamond tipped record player.

4. Well, that is discouraging.

EDIT: I Missed this part.

In comparison with LaserDisc technology, CEDs suffered from the fact that they were a phonograph-related contact medium. RCA estimated that the number of times a CED could be played back, under ideal conditions, was 500.[20]
    I wonder how expensive it would be trying to get a 16 mm collection?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 19 Jul 2015 at 09:59 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. There's a local store that has 30 or so for 2 bucks a piece. I thought they were pretty neat. No player though, sorry.

6. My brother and I went to a friends house to watch movies on one of these players. He had rented it, along with 3 movies. It was pretty cool, but there were times when a movie would lock up, and we would have to eject it to get it working again. It didn't seem like the most reliable device for watching movies.

7. The father of my best friend when I was a kid bought big into the format. They had hundreds of the things. Since my dad was a cheapo, we didn't have a VCR until the late 80s. So literally any movie that any kid of the mid to late 70s and early 80s would have seen, I saw on CED. The Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones, James Bonds, Goonies, all the Disney stuff, etc.

8. How many hang ups did you have? I'll multiply that by 10 since these things are 30 yo now.

9. I've never heard of this thing.

10. Very rarely. At most there'd be some visual interference, kind of like when a VCR is tracking.
    But these were newish and the crappy lube they put on the discs to keep the diamond tip stylus from shredding them hadn't dried up yet. When I was collecting them a decade ago, I resigned myself to the fact that maybe 1 in 3 would play back fine.
    It's a neat format, but only if you're a "These are to be seen but not watched" type of person.