Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    What's the most recent show that was really popular in its day, but current fandom couldn't care less about? That's the cutoff for "old" imo. Of course it's going to move forward with time (as it should), and it's going to include a lot of stuff that doesn't "feel" old to us oldtimers.
    That's a good question. I don't really see many people talking about Trigun these days. I didn't really care for it myself, though. I guess that's technically from 1998?
    I took all your French Toast.

2. I've been watching Initial D. Never thought I could get into racing. xD I've been trying to watch Serial Experiments Lain and Boogie Pop Phantom but I can't get into them.

Any of ya'll seen the movie Kite? It's weird and I love it for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I think all of mine fit, in that case. I used to own a lot of Tenchi on laserdisc, along with Battle Angel, Slayers, Maris the Chojo, some Ranma, Grave of the Fireflies, and er....some imports of Utena/Escaflowne because I was an f-chan.
    I didn't have access to anime back in the day, and it seems that the stuff released on LD coincides with the good times, so I'll often just blind buy anime LD since the combination of time period and the companies mostly only releasing the best stuff makes it less of a gamble. So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Actor View Post
    Serial Experiments Lain ... I can't get into (it).

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I didn't have access to anime back in the day, and it seems that the stuff released on LD coincides with the good times, so I'll often just blind buy anime LD since the combination of time period and the companies mostly only releasing the best stuff makes it less of a gamble. So far so good.
    That's probably fairly accurate. The stuff release back then is usually at least watchable, unlike some of the recent animes. I'm really enjoying My Hero Academia, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    For real. It's worth it for the intro alone.

6. Word, I rewatched Lain last year, not having seen it since my freshman year of high school. It really held up.

Tried to get into My Hero Academia, but it didn't take. It's cute, but I can't shake the feeling of "I think I'd rather be watching/doing something else" and I'm past the point of forcing myself through anything that isn't going to bring me money, pleasure, or make me look good naked.

Niea Under Seven is still my favorite I think. I've rewatched a bunch of things in the past few years, and that one still feels like it could have been made yesterday.

8. I'm gonna try watching it again, I don't dislike it. I really like the intro and the animation, but I don't think I really got it when I watched it. I really am up to giving it another try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Niea Under Seven is still my favorite I think. I've rewatched a bunch of things in the past few years, and that one still feels like it could have been made yesterday.
    I forgot - did you like Haibane Renmei? I thought it was pretty good. I haven't seen it in a long as time, however.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post

Tried to get into My Hero Academia, but it didn't take. It's cute, but I can't shake the feeling of "I think I'd rather be watching/doing something else" and I'm past the point of forcing myself through anything that isn't going to bring me money, pleasure, or make me look good naked.
    LOL - I was going to say "stick with it!"....but then I read on. I think what appeals to me is that it gives me old school anime vibes, a tad. Plus, the dub is SO good. Way better than the original Japanese. The main character actually tries too; he doesn't reply on the whole "omg friendship is magic, our love and my dead mother's prayers and tears will make the world better and defeat the enemy!" that a lot of animes tend to do.

But for somewhat recent anime, nothing tops Flowers of Evil. That show is fucking ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I forgot - did you like Haibane Renmei? I thought it was pretty good. I haven't seen it in a long as time, however.
    I haven’t seen it for at least 13 years, but probably yes? I don’t remember much.