Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

ha ha! I have that somewhere.

2. Was watching some El Hazard: The Magnificent World while downing vodka with friends. Classic stuff. We all still prefer the pioneer dub over the original Japanese lol

3. That's the original OVA, right? Why is it the crappy TV series gets a shiny new boxset and released on streaming platforms and the actual good version doesn't?

Anyhoo, here's some old, new, old Japanese cartoon news for ya: apparently Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato got remade all the way back in 2012, and whatever assclowns were sitting on the rights are finally letting Crunchyroll show it. So far, it's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Omg This made me fucking cringe so much. The Camera flying all over place...
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    That's the original OVA, right? Why is it the crappy TV series gets a shiny new boxset and released on streaming platforms and the actual good version doesn't?
    I just don't like El Hazard: The Wanderers (that's the TV series) all that much. The OVA was the shiznit and for whatever reason it doesn't get the love.

7. I came across a Rankin/Bass stop-motion movie on Amazon Prime called The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. It's based off a book by L Frank Baum, of Wizard of Oz fame, and was their last stop-motion production.

I don't know much about this movie, I'd never heard of it before, but it's super weird and the designs are off the wall. I saw all the animators were Japanese when the credits rolled. I'm not sure how much control they had over the designs, but there's a short vignette set in Japan and there's a Chinese dragon at one point, so I wonder if some of these horrific designs came from across the sea, too. Apparently most or all of their stop-motion was outsourced to Japan and I never picked up on it.

just look at this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dunlap; 04 Dec 2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. That is something that I will have to see.

9. I don't want to oversell it, it's not a great story and it has some poor musical sequences. It's just really bizarre and I do love the designs.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. I will be watching almost entirely for the art and strangeness.