Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. Lodoss War is so good. I like it much much more than the Lord of the Rings films we actually got.

I maintain that we got the better version of Tank Police over here, I'm really fond of that dub. AND THE THEME SONG. (I've got the Volume 3 Japanese laserdisc framed on my wall, I really dig Shirow's art from the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

man, you could write a thesis on the connection and differences between Japanese culture and old Europe with Loddoss Wars. There is just something so Japan about taking the King Autherian idea of a magic holy sword and splitting into into two equal evil and good swords.

You don't see as much of that as you used to.

I think that is what old cloud screamer meant when he said that anime was a mistake and how angry he is with otoku taking over the industry. All they do is retread the old series they fell in love with. They are far less likely to do something fresh from the heart. I mean shit, wasn't Loddoss War originally an anime based on a book that was based on a really long DnD game some japanese college students were playing? No one does that now.

3. Turns out the "Anime was a mistake" thing wasn't Miyazaki, but I really like that somebody cosplayed it anyway. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/anime-was-a-mistake

Last edited by YellerDog; 27 Jul 2015 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Lodoss War is so good. I like it much much more than the Lord of the Rings films we actually got.

I maintain that we got the better version of Tank Police over here, I'm really fond of that dub. AND THE THEME SONG. (I've got the Volume 3 Japanese laserdisc framed on my wall, I really dig Shirow's art from the time)

heh, I won't be surprised if we all end up living this in 30 years. We're already almost to this stage of armored cops. Just add in us pumping filth in the air to dim the sun so we don't all fucking cook when things finally get too hot and *bingo*

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Turns out the "Anime was a mistake" thing wasn't Miyazaki,
    sounds like a paraphrase,

You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!.

6. That's more of an animator thing, talking about drawing from observation. Craftsmanship observation!

yes, but he's saying all the new cats are bad animators because they don't do it (to his knowledge)

8. He's kind of a coot sometimes, but I don't think he's really wrong.

Speaking of Miyazaki, ever see this (nevermind the kareoke)? I seem to remember GameFan mentioning it once upon a time, very much a sci-fi music video precursor to that Daft Punk suite.

9. I've never seen that before. If it wasn't for the character designs I'd think I was watching something by Shirow. Pretty cool!

10. Ghibli really should do more sci fi stuff, their design aesthetic really works well for it.