Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. Those montage ads were amazing!

Growing up in the 80s/90s, I like that we had this connection through the intros of the Saturday Morning Cartoons (Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, etc) that all had this super high-quality animation that looked like nothing else on TV --especially the shows they were leading in to! Then you learned about the Japanese stuff and it all kind of made a little more sense suddenly. The 'adult' content kicking around (really just titillating stuff for teenagers) gave it a nice edge, like you were getting away with something by watching it.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 28 Jul 2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I'm just glad I watched Ninja Scroll and Wicked City when I was 12-ish instead of, like, 7-ish.

3. Oh yeah totally. I've got a friend whose sister made her watch Urotsukidōji when she was wayyyy too young for it (the sister was a teenager and thought it was funny), apparently it made for pretty bad nightmare fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Argh, I can't find the "Anime then. Anime now." streamline promo.

I remember Doshi saying she had some interesting telephone conversations with Live Action Anime Girl Apollo Smile back in the day. I think it's story time.

5. Gonna go ahead and post a trailer for Legend of Crystania (movie. The ovas are called the chaos ring), since it tends to be overlooked. And, yes, Ashram and Pirotess are in it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    also.. anyone watch GunBuster?

SIMEE-SUUUU
    GunBuster is the best thing and paired with GunBuster 2 it is my favorite anime thing ever until i think of something else.

i'm watching the Dr. Slump movies mixed with Patlabor when it's exerciseanime time
    Donk

Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    Back in the mid-90s my family had one of those old full-size satellite dishes with the satellites named stuff like G1, F4, etc. Every friday about the time x-files came on there's be a station on one of the obscure satellites called channel 1 that showed Streamline dubbed anime. Saw a lot of good stuff, like Castle of Cagliostro, 3x3 Eyes, Silent Mobius , etc. Showed the old Streamline ads, too.

oh fuck, we had a big sat too. High five!

8. Old? Did Japan make cartoons before the 80's?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Astro Boy and Speed Racer at least. And I think all the classic Matsumoto stuff (Yamato a.k.a. Starblazers, Galaxy Express, etc.) was made in the 70s, even though we didn't get it 'til later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    oh fuck, we had a big sat too. High five!
    Same here. My parent's place couldn't get cable until about 6 years ago.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in