Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. Chronological it goes:
    GitS SAC gig 1 and 2
    GitS movie
    GitS 2: Innocence

I have no idea where GitS: Arise comes in.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. I need to revisit GitS 2 sometime. Don't care for the tv show, love the original comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. That first GitS comic is great. Shirow really lost it after that.

4. I really liked Orion and Dominion Conflict, but yeah the second he got that computer he was lost to the world. I dearly wish we could have gotten a final Appleseed volume from early 90s Shirow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Chronological it goes:
    GitS SAC gig 1 and 2
    GitS movie
    GitS 2: Innocence

I have no idea where GitS: Arise comes in.
    I thought the TV series and movies were two separate continuities?

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

6. Yeah. Stand Alone Complex stuff deals with section 9 as a team doing stuff, the first GitS has Kusanagi leaving section 9, and Innocence is Batou in section 9 after Kusanagi has left. (but yes, they are in different timelines)

I guess an Arise based movie just came out?

Its all different directors interpreting the same manga, or the work of the other directors.

The first Gits movie makes more directorial sense if you watch his other movies, like the partlabor ones. A lot of his stuff feels like japan, 100 years before blade runner, etc.

So if I watch Stand Alone Complex I don't need to watch the Laughing Man movie, or the specials? Should I watch the laughing man instead? This shit is so confusing.

9. I'll guess for you.. i haven't watched it in a long time but I think SAC starts out with kind of self contained episodes; like every episode they solve a crime and as it goes on they put little hints at laughing man in there. Then it builds to Laughing Man stuff. I think the Laughing Man movie collects all the specific stuff related to him and collects it.

Just watch SAC.

10. Does reading manga count? I just finished re-reading the entirety of Lum Urusei Yatsura and watching all of the films again. I'll have to check out the OVAs sometime too.

Lum was always my favorite Rumiko Takahashi work, but it had been so long since I'd last seen it. As a sci-fi and mecha fan, all the 70s/80s pop references really just hits all the right spots. Silly, episodic fun, with the occasional multi-part story and some character development. Now and then, they have some really awesome mecha designs that are hilariously pointless in a comedy (sort of like Project A-Ko).

The only thing I didn't like was all the focus on Ryuunosuke and her father in the last few volumes. As Ranma 1/2 debuted just after Lum, you can totally see how Ryuunosuke and her father were pretty much the prototypes for Ranma and Genma Saotome. I liked them in general, but there were just too many chapters specifically devoted to them, almost entirely outshining Lum and Ataru. It was to the point where you'd say "get your own damn show!", which they pretty much did in Ranma 1/2.