Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    the scifi channle.
    They play Histoire de Melody Nelson at midnight every night before signing off.

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Bacon:What trailer you go for is a good marker for when you got in to it.
    Nah, I was on the train during Streamline Pictures and all that. That Eva era is around where I got a job at Media Play and went in hard on anime with the 35% employee discount we got, granted.

4. Yeah, I was streamline, too. Well, unless Robotech/Voltron counts.

We used to have the big honking satellite dish that took forever to switch satellite feeds. I remember when we first got it we watched a rodeo and thought that shit was neatest thing. Rodeo on the TV! Anyways, there was a station called Channel 1. It pretty much showed three things: monster car events, bikini model competitions and Streamline anime. I once caught the tail end of Castle of Cagliostro and thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Years later Manga put it out on dvd and I finally got to watch all of it. (David Hayter is best Lupin) The anime they showed most often, by far, was 3x3 Eyes. I still love that show. (yall remember my 3x3 Eyes avatar?) Even read all the manga, but it kinda turns to crap about halfway through.

Then, of course was Dominion Tank Police/Vampire Hunter D/Lodoss War, etc. that came on Cinemax and/or SciFi. Of course, even if you didn't have access to those channels, you were probably aware of anime from those advertisements at the end of issues of EGM.

After moving to a more urban place around 2000 I suddenly had access to a Hollywood video with tons of anime (and samurai flick) VHS. Watched a ton of great stuff for the first time. Area 88, Akira Kurosawa's Ran, Lupin: Tales of the Wolf, Poltergeist Report (Yu Yu Hakusho movie before I knew what a Yu Yu Hakusho was). Was also reading Gamefan and Shidoshi put me onto Eva, etc. Of course I had to buy those opposed to renting! Shit was expensive!

A dvd player was a no brainer with how much more anime you got for your money. Picked up a dvd player and Lodoss war at the same time from a babbages.

Speaking of Apollo Smile, I recall Shidoshi saying she had some...interesting phone conversations with her back on GG!, but I don't know if she'd ever told the full story.

So, yeah, it started early with the westernized anime cartoons> EGM ads> Channel 1/Streamline Pictures> Cinemax/SciFi >Hollywood Video>Gamefan>Toonami>etc.

Oh, and speaking of Lodoss War, Ryo Mizuno has a new anime coming out called Record of Grancrest War. I hope it's good. Did y'all ever watch the Legend of Crystania OVAs/Movie? Those were pretty good and follow Ashram/Pirotess. And Rune Soldier, which takes place on the continent of Alecrast (the one lodoss was split from)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They play Histoire de Melody Nelson at midnight every night before signing off.
    Mel o dee
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. This seems like as good a thread as any for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-An...=akira+box+set

I'm pretty pumped. I've always wanted to read this and here's the best chance to do it. Those hardcovers! Those dust jackets! That box!

7. Nice. I've been reading the colorized Marvel/Epic Akira on my iPad this week, it's lovely. I really would like a physical release, they never finished collecting it back in the day.

I like that the jackets in that box set match the original Japanese releases, I found a JP copy of Volume 4 in a used book store (in Georgia!) yearrrs ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. God, I fell in love with one particular comic shop the first time I entered it because it was the first place I’d seen those Epic Akiras and First Lone Wolf and Cub.
    Of course, I’ve never finished either series since those initial attempts at bringing them here were never completed.

I recall getting into it all pretty early. I watched a lot of those "Family Home Entertainment" tapes from various rental places. Stuff like Time Fighters (time bokan), Unico, Techno Cop, etc. Then there was the obvious stuff on tv like Voltron, Voltron III, Robotech, Mysterious cities of gold, and probably some redubbed stuff on early nickelodeon that I'm forgetting.

I'll probably have to do some googling to pin down the year, but I didn't really figure out it was a japanese thing until either the video place at my grandmothers got a section for it, or when they did the first 5 day "japamation" nights on scifi. Probably 91 or 92.

I recall it kind of exploding around that time, or not. It was a thing if you looked. Like comic shops started to have anime only rentals. And large print manga comics. And suncoast would have a tape section where you could drop like $35 on two episodes of whatever. Gamefan started doing a review section of anime (maybe that was always there. I forget. I know they always had the catalog in the back). I also remember going to a comic book convention thing in Atlanta, pissing off the writers of SCUD, and buying bootleg copies of the sailor moon movies for my sisters.

Anime was kind of a secret, but not really?

Then in about 1998 all hell broke lose with Dragon Ball Z and Pokemans. The not so secret secret was out. All the kids were watching anime, and the market was flooded. The dvd format had came out the year before, and now kids could get the stuff fairly cheaply too.

I don't know where I was going with that. Shits different I guess. And I'm old. It went from being covert, to niche, to so big it was floating just about every dvd store in the US, to pirated, then all but gone from places like Best Buy in about 15, 20 years.

You know, I think if mzo and finch ever did a podcast on anime, it would be the only topic I know enough dates about to actually help with.

Also, other fun fact, a lot of the british heavy metal guys were into anime. Metal Gods is about some film they were watching at a theater in London back in 79, 80. (or shit, maybe even japan).

Now that would be an interesting story, early anime and games in places like London and NYC.