Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Here comes that damned CISPA crap again...

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    I'm not convinced that this is democracy.
    It's definitely not democracy, since it wasn't even intended to be.

2. What's with this weird insistence among libertarian types to talk about republics as if they're something separate from democracies, rather than a subset thereof (which they of course are, being known also by the term "representative democracies")?

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

I'm not sure how this thread doesn't answer that question for you.

edit: That said, I'm not sure it would make any difference. Our rate of uninformed voters has to be embarrassingly huge, so even if this went to a popular vote a few catchy commercials would get it passed.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 07 Aug 2015 at 10:24 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    You seem to think that who the president is has any bearing on laws passed.
    The President can veto bills that do not have an overriding majority. That's worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    What's with this weird insistence among libertarian types to talk about republics as if they're something separate from democracies, rather than a subset thereof (which they of course are, being known also by the term "representative democracies")?
    Assburgers

7. Congress represents the broad swath of public opinion and what is "acceptable public discourse." President picks what gets enacted within that range. So both have large amounts of influence.

This is just on domestic policy though. The President has vastly more influence on foreign policy. There the President is almost unfettered.

8. Remember the TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership)? "CON"gress passed Fast Track for it, so now that shit is ONE vote away from becoming law. TPP does claim to reduce/eliminate tariffs, but I'd rather have high tariffs against TPP member products than have the USA join this screwball deal. Bad things to come from it would be higher health care costs including raised generic drug prices, and draconian IP regulations, among others. Reps from the 13 nations behind this met in Hawaii last week to try to finalize the deal but thankfully could not, due to the IP rights chapter where copyright & all of the worst provisions for the Internet are housed.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts
    representative democracies
    More like repre$entative democracie$, thanks to damn lobbyists. They don't represent us. Most if not all of Congress is bought out. Congress gets away with major BS that we'd go to prison for (bribe-taking, insider trading, and more). Peter Schweizer's Throw Them All Out is a great book on this. Politicians seem to be in it strictly to get rich.

The USA needs a "None of the above" option for elections. Some other countries do recognize NOTAs and will either re-open nominations or leave the office vacant.

What we need is a hard reboot.

Fuck. If you own a smartphone, you're fucked if CISA passes, because Apple and Microsoft have joined Google in its support.