Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 35678 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest XI "S" (PS4 / Nintendo Switch / XBox One)

1. This game is so fucking good.

This is the first game I've played in a very long time that feels like a real next gen version of a PS2 JRPG and I don't know a better way to say that. Like FFXV changed the mold so much it hardly felt like a FF. This is like "let's just keep tweaking the same old shit and make it awesome and beautiful and fun to play".

It's the best.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    There's no way I'm playing this on anything but Switch. Don't have time for that.
    Pussy.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. I'm in the same boat as Frog. If I'm going to finish an RPG of this size in even a remotely decent amount of time, I'm gonna need it to be on the Switch.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. It depends on the game.
    I'm not playing much Octopath because it's so zoomed out the I don't like playing it in handheld mode.
    If I'm going to be playing on a tv- PS4 over Switch any day.

5. I definitely don't have time to play this (and didn't really make time for this kind of game even as a teenager) but it's gorgeous and the PC port seems good and pretty flexible from what I tried of my GF's copy. You can do uncapped FPS with an INI tweak seemingly without breaking anything, neat.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    This game is so fucking good.

This is the first game I've played in a very long time that feels like a real next gen version of a PS2 JRPG and I don't know a better way to say that. Like FFXV changed the mold so much it hardly felt like a FF. This is like "let's just keep tweaking the same old shit and make it awesome and beautiful and fun to play".

It's the best.
    Have you not played Persona 5, or would you disagree that it fits that bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

7. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Have you not played Persona 5, or would you disagree that it fits that bill?
    Persona 5 is the best JRPG that's ever been made, but I don't think it just does the same old shit, ya know? Maybe I just feel like that because even the Personas on PS2 didn't feel like that standard PS2 JRPG.

Dragon Quest XI feels like they were working on Dragon Quest 8-2 and then just kept polishing the visuals and world layout for like 14 years. It doesn't break any molds, does nothing unique (so far), but it's fucking awesome. It's just visual improvements and tiny quality of life changes everywhere.
    Last edited by Opaque; 08 Sep 2018 at 09:58 AM.

Agreed, loving XI. Pretty stark difference in series between this and FF. Maybe it's because Hori has been involved with every one of them. FF lost its way without the Gooch.

But Fran loves you mzo.

Though it can be argued that 12 is really tactics and tactics is its own series.

10. Just beat it. Great game.

Ending thoughts: So...split timeline hijinks like in Zelda, now? Didn't seem like things radically changed for the protagonist and crew after serenica went back to the past to save Erdwin. I even regretted a few things changing from the original timeline when I was running around the second timeline/post game, like Cole from Cobblestone and the spunky girl with the dog from the slums of Heliodor never even meeting. The ill girl from Arboria not surviving to use the flowers was pretty sad, too. In the second timeline she's stuck as a questgiver, so you don't get any resolution there.

So, fan theory at the moment seems to be that the true end credits show the second/Calasmos timeline leading the to Erdrick Trilogy, and the Original/Mordragon timeline leads to the Zenithian trilogy (due to the sword the party forges looking like the Zenithian Sword). I guess that would imply we might be looking at new game/games coming up that follows the third/Serenica timeline.