Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: August, 2015

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    32" Sony Trinitron XBR up and running! 'Rich, artisanal scanlines', nice bassy sound off the set speakers.

Playing through the PS2 Fatal Fury Anthology to celebrate. Pleased that this will work when I get my MVS project off the ground.

Attachment 77248

Ordering a replacement remote to fix the eternal "VIDEO 4" in the corner, as the one that came with the set wouldn't work even after taking it apart and cleaning it up. Weird remote with this TV, has a flip-up part like a Star Trek communicator.

Everything designed with high res monitor HD in mind looks like burnt crap (menus in FF are a big culprit), but 2D pixely games look amazing.
    Fatal Fury Special is where it's at.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    WHERE AND HOW MUCH?
    Got mine at Toys R Us, but they're probably available wherever the World of Nintendo stuff is sold. $15 apiece.
    Last edited by BerringerX; 02 Aug 2015 at 10:17 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

3. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Fatal Fury Special is where it's at.
    I'm digging it a lot more than 2. You can't blow through the game by spamming Rising Tackle anymore, I have noticed. I love all the little background touches that Special adds to the returning backgrounds, like the giant ducklings running around Andy's stage or the weird business with the sheep and the bodybuilders in Big Bear's.

Really cool hidden in there from the old school notion of "you have X amount of points when Y happens", too!

Turning on the Arranged soundtrack for Special is rad as hell after playing 2 with the standard OST.

I enjoyed Fatal Fury 1 a whole lot, there's a lot of nice touches. The game kind of uses Geese to teach you how the counter mechanic works, prior to which it's just this useless button. Changes the game on a second playthrough! Then they ditch that mechanic entirely for the sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

It's not a counter, it's a throw. You can use it any time you want.

5. It is a counter, you can catch Geese's roundhouse with it consistently. Rather like Geese's counter in that they operate exactly the same.

Doubles as a throw, that's fine too.

I did not know that. I've been playing that game for years.

7. Ha! I'm seeing it from the other side, I guess. Damn smart way to introduce the mechanic, you use it on Geese and blast through him, otherwise he counters your ass to the moon if you try to play offensively. The 'button description' at the start of the game doesn't even explain what the button is for properly.

My method for fighting him is to try to jumpkick him (or jump at him and throw upon landing) and once he's down throw a power wave that will hit him when he gets up. Repeat.

9. The counter thing is the truth, just jump everything and counter. I was one chip damage away from a double perfect last time.

10. Chrome Peshka chukkas.

Did Yeller get a pair of these a while back?
    Boo, Hiss.