Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Dudes in Gamesoft World Appreciation Thread

I didn't start reading multiplatform gaming magazines until the PS days. All I had until then were Nintendo systems.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I didn't start reading multiplatform gaming magazines until the PS days. All I had until then were Nintendo systems.
    Man, really? Was it the N64 that push you toward the PS? How weird was it switching at the time?

Yeah, it totally was.

It was super weird. Like stepping into a new world.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Makes sense, the N64 was trash. You missed out on the Gunstar Heroes fruit roll up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    I had no idea the TG-16 was considered to be that uncommon among you guys. Then again, when I was a kid, I was obsessed with it for reasons I'll never understand, and my friends—who were also nerds—knew about it as well. But that could have been due to geography, living next to or near a large North American city.
    Living in a not so large city, I knew about the TG16, wanted one, but there just wasn't any place near me to actually pick one up. There was one rental place that had games, but they never sold any systems. If I were an adult, it wouldn't have been a problem to drive 20 minutes to the nearest larger town that had many stores that carried it, but I couldn't exactly bike there as a kid.

I never actually played a TG16 till 2000 or so when I got a NOS Duo and games from TZD.com.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Yeah, FINCH. Please stop lying in the future.
    i'm going to make up pure shit in the future. Just kidding, i didn't look closely and it was 1988 vs 1989. I'd better apologize on the next episode.

Whenever my mom went grocery shopping i went to the magazine aisle and read every Game Pro and EGM and Game Fan and anything that wasn't Computer Games Whatever (i tried but it was way too boring).
    Mzo how did you feel when Nintendo Power was like "Wuh-wuht's a Sooper Famikom?" and later "Don't you DARE buy a Super Famicom, IT"S AGAINST THE LAW." while EGM was showing COOL PICTURES from Super Mario FOUR?
    Donk

7. I remember playing Bonk at the kiosks in Toys R Us for far longer than I was probably supposed to, so I was well aware of the TG-16 and it had a major retail presence, but I don't think I knew anyone who actually had one personally.

I think I was always pretty aware of all the systems that were out, and I didn't start reading game magazines until I was in middle school so it must have been a combination of retail presence and the second hand stuff at flea markets and yard sales. I asked specifically for a Master System (I was already a Sega fanboy from the arcades) and an Atari Lynx over more popular Nintendo alternatives.

The one that eluded me until I was a little older was Intelevision. I would always see the games but I just thought they were third party Atari games with different cart shape. I bought a few (this was during the crash when you could literally get games for pocket change) and remember shoving them in my Atari (which may have involved removing the guard piece from the bottom of the cart) and being disappointed when they didn't work, but I don't think I knew why until much later.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Aug 2015 at 06:34 PM.

My local mall had a Devil's Crush tournament. It was a combination of advertising for NEC and Compucentre (a common game retailer in Canada before EB arrived). I'm curious if Brisco or anyone else remembers that, too.

9. They had a TG-16 kiosk at every bloody Radio Shack in the country, it seemed. I saw the price drop from $189-to-50. I got it for my eleventh birthday? I think? I was ecstatic. I still love that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    My local mall had a Devil's Crush tournament. It was a combination of advertising for NEC and Compucentre (a common game retailer in Canada before EB arrived). I'm curious if Brisco or anyone else remembers that, too.
    The store, or the competition? I bought Deep Blue for TG-16 and Third Strike for the Dreamcastat at CompuCentre.

The competition. And yeah, I couldn't believe the drop to $50 at Radio Shack. That's when I bought the system (1992, I believe). I borrowed a TG16 a lot before that in 1990/1991.