Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8101112

Thread: The Death of Cool.

1. Related: NYT piece on rock stars and "rock star" arguing that corporate branding killed both.
    Now, 60 years, give or take, since the phrase came into existence, ‘‘rock star’’ has made a complete about-face. In its new incarnation, it is more likely to refer to a programmer, salesperson, social-media strategist, business-to-business telemarketer, recruiter, management consultant or celebrity pastry chef than to a person in a band. The term has become shorthand for a virtuosity so exalted it borders on genius — only for some repetitive, detail-oriented task.
    Musicians today know that you have to be a pro to succeed: compliant, controlled, image-focused and customer-service-oriented. Tossing vending machines off balconies is not cost-effective and just sends the wrong message.

And to think someone got paid to make the same point I was.

3. Capitalism ruins everything.

4. So, I really like 'grown up' Miley Cyrus and all her bad taste. It's the one thing 'cheeks & I seem to agree on. But, the one thing that annoys me is how try hard she is with sex and drugs. It's more apparent now she was given totally control over an album and half her lyrics are 'fuck me' 'fuck me' 'pills' 'I love pot'!

I am a big fan of Bacall & 30's, 40's pulp. Those women were dirty as fuck and could work a tease and the appeal was the lure of something there and not being instantly given it. That is what is rarely seen today.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    But, the one thing that annoys me is how try hard she is with sex and drugs. It's more apparent now she was given totally control over an album and half her lyrics are 'fuck me' 'fuck me' 'pills' 'I love pot'!
    So she's someone in her early 20's?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So, I really like 'grown up' Miley Cyrus and all her bad taste. It's the one thing 'cheeks & I seem to agree on. But, the one thing that annoys me is how try hard she is with sex and drugs. It's more apparent now she was given totally control over an album and half her lyrics are 'fuck me' 'fuck me' 'pills' 'I love pot'!

I am a big fan of Bacall & 30's, 40's pulp. Those women were dirty as fuck and could work a tease and the appeal was the lure of something there and not being instantly given it. That is what is rarely seen today.
    I see it as performance art and you're not really meant to like it. In much the same way you aren't suppose to be happy when you watch documentaries on the child abuse.

I'm not sure what the newest stuff is about, as I've not heard it, but I'm pretty sure the first new album and the promotion around it was her killing Hanna Montanan. Similar to how Tim Curry intentionally chose roles opposite to his Rocky Horror character. Maybe there were focus groups, maybe she had an epiphany, but she probably realized that as long as Hanna was part of the greater culture, she would not have a future career. I won't be surprised if she does similar to GaGa and dresses normal by the third or forth albums.

Or maybe she's just a fucking Rorschach test, and is so random and vague, what people say about her say more about themselves than her. She might really be the dumbest most boring person in the country at home and everything we see is high paid record execs and consultants, creating a vague nothingness that can be advertised however they want.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 01 Sep 2015 at 06:25 PM.