Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

1. I had a decent haul somewhat recently with Rushmore, Peter Pan CAV, Mr. Hulot's Holiday Criterion and Robin & Marian all for a buck or two each. With those I think I've cleaned up on everything I wanted from Amoeba Records SF for the moment. The video store down the street has tons of good stuff but the prices are mega dumb, $15-$25 for common stuff up to absurdity for boxes and special editions. No thanks.

Just got MST3k: The Movie through lddb.com --they have a great 'wishlist' setup over there, when something becomes available for sale you get an email, usually below eBay prices. Most collectors seem to list there first.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 16 Nov 2015 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Nice! I've stopped buying until I get through some of by backlog. I'm trying to figure out what to do fit storage now. I had some record crates in the corner of the room but I put a bigass 80s stereo there. It can probably hold half my discs in the cabinet, but that's about it.

3. I'd been using plastic milk crates, but that's proving to not be a very good long-term solution. The weight of the LDs doesn't let the crates stack very well, they start to bow.

I've got one of those IKEA square shelves with the 13x13 sections, i might have to try and Craigslist a double wide one of those. Sturdy.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'd been using plastic milk crates, but that's proving to not be a very good long-term solution. The weight of the LDs doesn't let the crates stack very well, they start to bow.

I've got one of those IKEA square shelves with the 13x13 sections, i might have to try and Craigslist a double wide one of those. Sturdy.
    I've got a knockoff version of that, it is sturdy as hell. I put two of the 8 shelves together front to back and turned them on their side to make a CRT TV stand since you can't find actual TV stands that can support the weight. They would easily hold a ton of LD's.

Your disc... that's not very Dracula. Not at all.

6. Ah, breaks the heart. I guess I'm going to bump it to the back of the 'want list' until I can find another cheap copy.

I did find a cheap copy of Tampopo when I went on eBay to request a refund, so that worked out ok.

I can vouch for those ikea shelves. I have two of them in 2x4 configuration for my records. They've made it through three moves and aren't wobbly at all.

I've always heard that certain dvd recorders work well paired with ld players, as they have some of the best comb filters made and output into component, even progressive if necessary. Basically, making it a oversized composite to component converters. Well, 2006 dvd recorders aren't expensive, so I grabbed one on ebay.

Holy shit, I'm a believer. The comb filter in my sdtv is ass, and the svideo isn't great, so feeding it component looks really good. I just tried it on the hdtv, set it for 480p and let the tv scale it, and it looks pretty great. Pretty much like an upscaled dvd with worse colors. Still looks better on the sdtv of course.

9. Nice!

Can you record LDs?

Sure. I don't really have any intention of doing that though, unless I come across some exclusive thing.

Btw Yeller, your Trinitron would still beat this.