Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24343637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

Some of the higher end players can help with minor rot and slightly warped discs. The LX-900 might be the best at this, it does a great job on its own but it also has two levels of digital noise reduction, the first level does a great job at removing minor video noise and minor rot speckles, level two you don't want to use on most discs but it can make some awful discs watchable. I use this as my primary player now.

That said, most of the fancy filter stuff the high end players do you could probably do better on the software side once it's on the PC.

2. This shit has me wanting to sell off the stupid expensive games I have, but no longer enjoy, amd buy stupid expensive 90s era AV equipment.
    One of my pickups today was the 30th Anniversary Restoration Widescreen Collector's Edition of My Fair Lady. Unfortunately, none of the extras were included, just the huge box and 3 LDs.
    But I love Audrey Hepburn.
    So worth $1.50.

3. https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Pl...plastic+polish

NOVUS Plastic Polish is *really good* for salvaging discs with skips or deep scratches, I've saved quite a few "kid-owned" animated movies from scratchy oblivion, those fuckers were absolutely rolled across the floor a few dozen times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

The key to buying old AV equipment is getting rad stuff for cheap IMO.

I actually didn't have as many doubles as I thought. Platoon, Rising Sun, Stargate, Top Gun, and Speed were in there, you can have em if you want em but if you buy any random LD lot they're probably going to have these movies. I also have some Tenchi Universe boxes but those would not be free.

5. Already had the first 4, picked Speed up today
    I've never watched Tenchi. That was one of the proto harem deals right?

And I'd love to find rad stuff cheap, but I just don't have the time to troll yard sales and thrift stores any more.

Yeah, Tenchi is the OG harem anime. It looks fantastic on laserdisc but it's very expensive considering you can get the whole series on DVD for wait the same price as one or two LD boxes out of seven total.

Tenchi is my favorite anime though so I went full retard and got the OVAs, specials, and TV series. I ended up with some extra after buying a complete Universe set after not being about to find the more rare boxes individually.

7. What's the deal with AC-3. Does it really sound that much better than DVD audio? Did any receivers have a demodulator built in or was it always another box you had to have?

IMO AC3 is something a lot of laserdisc collectors masturbate over and don't really understand.

As you probably know Dolby Digital is discrete 5 channel sound and a subwoofer. The technology for laserdisc and DVD is essentially the same, but the laserdisc version sometimes can sound better due to the fact that DVDs usually used a slightly lower bitrate. Can you tell the difference? Probably not. Sometimes the laserdisc version has a better mix since they will often use the same mix the theater used, while a later DVD release may have adjusted things for home use, which is good if you have a cheap setup or TV speakers but not so good if you've got a ballin' home cinema.

In my humble opinion though, I care about sound quality more than how many speakers are playing sound. And here's the real reason laserdisc audio shines; almost every laserdisc has two channel digital audio that is completely uncompressed, so if you ignore the extra speakers the two channel tracks actually have superior audio to the surround tracks if you have the ear and equipment to tell the difference. Most laserdisc collectors who think that AC3 has superior sound think this because their surround systems aren't set up properly. AC3 makes their subwoofers boom since it's a discrete channel, in stereo their sound is only going to the L and R front speakers. If their surround systems were set properly the front speakers should be redirecting bass to the subwoofer anyway.

DVD is of course capable of uncompressed two channel digital audio as well, but most movies omitted stereo tracks in favor of Dolby Digital to save space. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a true stereo uncompressed track and lossy DD converted to stereo.

There are some receivers that had RF demodulation built in. I've never seen one personally but they are out there. They are generally expensive online since LD collectors poach those models, but they can be dirt cheap at a pawn shop or yard sale since most of them are too old for HDMI, and for the average person a pre-HDMI receiver is worthless. BTW if you want to dive into demodulation I have a DDP-1 I paid $40 for but can't use. It's useless to me since my HD setup has a slight amount of audio delay, and neither the DDP1 nor my old Pioneer receiver can compensate for it. It would be great for a CRT rig, but I only have stereo connected to my CRT.

Finally, there are some discs that have DTS digital sound instead of AC3. These don't require any hardware, any modern receiver can decode it if you connect with a digital cable. The discs themselves tend to be a lot more expensive, I've never bought any myself since I prefer stereo. Also... I don't think your Laseractive has an RF audio out for AC3 anyway. IIRC they do have an optical out, so DTS would work.

9. Correct, Laseractive doesn't have AC-3, but I dont think it's going to be my only/main player for long.

Holy run on sentences in my last post, Batman. Too lazy to fix it.