Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

I think I had everything that mattered as a kid. Short circuit. Jurassic park. T1 and t2. Predator.

Looking back, we had a laser disk player in computer discovery back in the 4th grade. But the school didn't have any laser disks. At the end of the year I brought 1 and some of the kids were so disapointed. They thought it would beam the movie into their brains or something. The same kids also thought my sega cd was some kind of top secret Saturn that snapped onto the gen.

There could be a whole wonder dudes ep on dumb shit kids believed about gaming but discovered otherwise in adulthood.

Also, I went to school with some pretty stupid kids, in hind sight.

3. Back in high school I ordered the first volume of Oh My Goddess! on VHS directly from AnimEigo. They sent me the Laserdisc version by mistake. I didn't bother letting them know.

4. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

Criterion King Kong!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YellerDog; 20 Aug 2015 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. You can emulate LD by restricting your Netflix bandwidth.

6. You really can't. I don't get the shitty compression ball-kicks that you do, no trash pixel mosaic to be seen. Solid picture over here.

Reasonably certain my sound quality is better too, does Netflix have DTS/THX mixes? Commentaries? Hmm!

Put Akira on this morning, it looks outstanding. I'm pretty happy with this entire setup.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 20 Aug 2015 at 03:28 PM.

The sound really does kick the shit out of anything but a Bluray. The image quality, while not as detailed as HD, is analog and has a real film like look to it, like you were viewing it on a projector. This is, of course, assuming the particular movie has a good transfer. I watched the original 1984 or 85 LD release of Terminator and it was horrific. I later got a newer version and it looked great.

The title of this thread makes me jealous.

9. I loved my laserdisc player. The picture quality was simply outstanding on a 4:3 tv. My only complaint with the format wasn't the need to flip the disc, but rather how abruptly it happened. One moment you're watching a movie, deep into the story, then it stops dead with no warning. For collections like the Looney Tunes compendiums it was no big deal, but for actual movies it killed the immersion. Everything else about the format was fantastic, though, and for the packaging alone it blew away DVD.

10. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

Seems like there's an art to placing the disc breaks; I appreciated that that Alien 3 disc had it right after the superintendent gets yanked into the ceiling and the guy yells "Fuck!"

Some movies put it right in the middle of a sequence and it is distracting. I imagine the thought process was trying to get it as close to the actual film reel changes as possible.