Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 122224252627283040 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

1. That the same people who (rightly) laud M2 ports for their fidelity are buying pan and scan movies makes me angry.
    I can't abide the sound effects of FFVI Advance playing at a slightly different pitch or the slowdown in Deathsmiles being removed, but bring on the SD Blade Runner with 40% of the image hacked off.

Someone even complained about the sprites in the DQ DS games either having an extra or missing column of pixels because of the difference in resolution and I swear to God it better not have been any of you freaks!
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 24 Jun 2016 at 07:46 PM.

Is there something about that Victor that makes it special? I don't know anything about Japanese players.

3. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    That the same people who (rightly) laud M2 ports for their fidelity are buying pan and scan movies makes me angry.
    I can't abide the sound effects of FFVI Advance playing at a slightly different pitch or the slowdown in Deathsmiles being removed, but bring on the SD Blade Runner with 40% of the image hacked off.

Someone even complained about the sprites in the DQ DS games either having an extra or missing column of pixels because of the difference in resolution and I swear to God it better not have been any of you freaks!
    Mind your own business!

At some point, being able to see certain versions of movies (or certain movies, period) trumps 'omg it's not widescreen'. I know it's a well-trained knee-jerk reaction to demand digitally handjobbed widescreen 1080p whatever all the time for everything, but it really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 24 Jun 2016 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. It's a 3DVHD!

k

6. (I guess I don't know what you're asking, so VHD 101).
    VHD is a CED-like format that JVC developed and intended to release in the US, but then chickened out because of RCA's similar CED format. So it was only released in Japan (and maybe Asia).
    Like CED, it is vinyl based. Unlike CED, the record has no grooves. So scratches result in minor stutters, not trashy skips or freezes. Some models could do 3D, using shutter glasses like the Vectrex or Master System. It seems like a bunch of the horror 3D movies that were the rage in the early 80s were released for it.
    Non technical hearsay puts the video quality between VHS and Laserdisc.

7. Well, yeah, I definitely get the part where you're going after content you can't find on a better medium. But to say wide-screen doesn't matter? You're only watching 60-70% of the movie! Those directors of photography work hard to frame those shots. You're pissing on Sven Nykvist's grave when you're watching The Seventh Seal in pan and scan (I don't know if that one is pan and scan).

Ah, ok. I got a friend who is into those, I just didn't remember that it was called VHD.

9. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Well, yeah, I definitely get the part where you're going after content you can't find on a better medium. But to say wide-screen doesn't matter? You're only watching 60-70% of the movie! Those directors of photography work hard to frame those shots. You're pissing on Sven Nykvist's grave when you're watching The Seventh Seal in pan and scan (I don't know if that one is pan and scan).
    All the Criterion Collection stuff is widescreen (unless it wasn't in the first place), and a BUNCH of their stuff hasn't been reissued on DVD/Blu due to rights issues. I like my 'pennies-vs-dollars' Criterion set quite a bit. There are commentaries you'll never hear, unless someone rips 'em off an LD.

As far as a lot of B-Movie fare goes, I don't really give a shit if Bill and Ted or Return of the Killer Tomatoes are in widescreen or not. Doesn't really have any effect on my enjoyment of those particular movies, but hey, fifty cent copy of Bill and Ted with nice cover art. Probably even has a different essay on the back of the sleeve or something. It's a new and different aspect of something familiar at the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I prefer widescreen, but if a movie is a dollar or something I don't fret too much.