Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

1. I was sorta intrigued by whatever's going on here until I learned you have to switch discs mid-movie. Then it was like, GTFO laserdiscs. Arguing for the value of the packaging is also interesting twist.

2. Mileage may vary! I don't mind the flipping as much as I figured I would, but I also tend to listen to records.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I got dat auto flip, yo.

4. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

One of those 'fancy lad' players. I would not complain if mine did, for sure. If I ever double down I'll go for one of those.

Just found a copy of 'Twilight of the Cockroaches', which never hit DVD over here. One of the precursors to Saturday Anime on US cable, never expected to see that again! Cousin to Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival on late night cable.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 28 Aug 2015 at 10:09 AM.

To be honest, I don't know much about the differences in players, but when I was looking one if my buds who was a huge collector back in the day told me to hunt down a DVL-700, as it was one of the best players he's ever seen and is usually cheap these days since the combo players are usually pretty crap.

I later got a little featureless industrial player for like $25 and to be honest, other than the lack of auto flip I would have been just as happy.

6. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

That DVL is a cool lookin' player! I kept reading that combo players tended to have problems with one function or the other, but really they all double as CD players already so who knows.

I'd like to figure out how the karaoke stuff on my CLD-V700 player works just for lolz, it has a lot of pitch-changing functions built in and a dual-mic setup. If it turns out I can just burn my own CD+G discs that's going to be hilarious.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 28 Aug 2015 at 10:28 AM.

Most of your dvls are crappy for botg dvd or ld, and the 700 wasn't supposed to be top of the line. The fact that it's really good seems like a accident.

It is, however, the worst dvd player I have ever used.

8. I've got an old Best Buy 'Insignia' player in a junk drawer that holds that honor for me, holy crap. Slow as mud and half as pretty, pixely compressed jpeg fonts for you.

9. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440921439.311434.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440921452.312092.jpg

80s Anime! Excited about Twilight of the Cockroaches, I only have faint memories of it from late night cable.

A few Streamline releases kind of stalled out on LD and VHS, curious to see what I can track down. So far that, something called Lensman and a different cut of Robot Carnival.

10. So! Starting a little Instagram to document this stuff and attempt some longer-form writeups. https://instagram.com/laser_hound_revival/

I picked up a HUGE BOX of discs the other day for $40, stuff ranging from Criterion 2001 to some Japanese Ranma 1/2 Opening Collection, so I figure this hobby got srs. all the sudden! I'm excited, it's way fun.

In that, I also picked up a fairly rare Making of Thriller ld that I plan to flip to pay for the entire box.