Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1323252627282931 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

1. Heck, there's a whole set of folks running around who only collect VHS horror movies. They say they're creepier with VHS noise/tracking. After seeing some of the ultra-remastered Friday the 13th movies with the visible strings and makeup edges showing, I suspect they may be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Yeah, horror ld's aren't cheap either. I'll lucky I found Evil Dead 2 for $5.

3. Yoooooo I got that blood-red Evil Dead 2 disc for $5, I was shocked.

Lots of horror flicks dead-ended on LD/VHS when their distributors and production companies died out in the 90s, too. Specialty companies like Arrow Video are only now bringing some of that stuff back out.

Dude sold me mine cheap because he thought it was rotted. I don't think he knew it was supposed to be red.

I kinda want one of these.
    I kinda already bought some movies.
    I asked my bud about it, he said it's the second best player Victor made behind the 9500. Dunno if you can read or translate the Japanese, but he said that the seller says he didn't have any movies to test, but that it powers up and the drive engages. It also has a MSX hookup! His only worry is that the stylus may be bad, and they are pretty hard to find (it took him 6 months to find a NOS stylus for his.)

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Well, yeah, I definitely get the part where you're going after content you can't find on a better medium. But to say wide-screen doesn't matter? You're only watching 60-70% of the movie! Those directors of photography work hard to frame those shots. You're pissing on Sven Nykvist's grave when you're watching The Seventh Seal in pan and scan (I don't know if that one is pan and scan).
    true story, I bought the dvd version of World at War because those fucks cut the bottom and top off the film to make it letter box for the bluray

It's been known to happen. The orange DBZ sets are like that, but I bought them anyway since they were cheap. Also some of the TF movie DVD releases, although some would argue that cropped widescreen was how it was shown in the theater back in the day (I don't like it though.)

I want to watch things the way the creators intended

unless it is cheap

9. Uptight media consumption helps no one.

i like getting a completely bizarre variety of movies through this laserdisc hunting, weird grab bag of everything pre-2000. Cheap & cool!

i think I have 9 BluRays total. Most of those are PS3 games. Format has no appeal for me, you guys can keep your JavaScript menus. /RedLine does look *fucking great* though!
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Jun 2016 at 01:09 AM.

I like bluray rips just fine.