Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 81820212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

1. M is one of the best movies ever made. I got goosebumps just looking at that cover.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Less classics and more karate movies, yeller.
    Oh ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. And I've finished.

4. TNL Gentlemen's Laserdisc Society

lol

My LD Criterion Collection has gotten formidable. Taking a break from new pickups until I get some of them watched, but it's tough. The local record store has a pretty great turnaround on $2-$5 discs.

I've been using Ebert's 'Great Movies' book as a nice map, the vast majority of 'em are on LD.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 27 May 2016 at 08:19 PM.

Yeller has found my weakness!

I'm jelly of all the Criterions though, I get most of my stuff from the net so most Criterions are expensive.

6. I don't think I'd have a third of 'em if they weren't just 'there' every time I go browsing in person.

Well, if I wasn't there before, I think I just went Full Retard. I mentioned earlier that I had moved my primary setup away from a CRT and to my plasma tv in the living room, sacrificing a bit of quality for the increase in size, and running my player through a DVD recorder to get acceptable image quality on a HDTV. It looked pretty good with fullscreen stuff, but widescreen movies (zoomed in to fit the width) suffered quite a bit. So I went balls deep and bought a DVDO VP50 video scaler off of ebay, which is just about the best thing you can get for upscaling low res content to a HDTV. Now all I need is a noise reduction device, and I will officially be at retard baller status, running a composite signal through three different devices to get it looking as good as a 20 year old TV.

8. This weekend, I learned that a laserdisc player that could also play Genesis/Sega CD games existed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BerringerX; 31 May 2016 at 02:55 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

9. Yup! There were some LD-only games as well. Nothing super notable really, but a pretty good footnote.

There was also a PC-Engine module for it!

10. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Well, if I wasn't there before, I think I just went Full Retard. I mentioned earlier that I had moved my primary setup away from a CRT and to my plasma tv in the living room, sacrificing a bit of quality for the increase in size, and running my player through a DVD recorder to get acceptable image quality on a HDTV. It looked pretty good with fullscreen stuff, but widescreen movies (zoomed in to fit the width) suffered quite a bit. So I went balls deep and bought a DVDO VP50 video scaler off of ebay, which is just about the best thing you can get for upscaling low res content to a HDTV. Now all I need is a noise reduction device, and I will officially be at retard baller status, running a composite signal through three different devices to get it looking as good as a 20 year old TV.
    Good lord, man! I'll stick with the Sony Trinitron.