Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Thing (Original & Prequel)

1. The Thing (Original & Prequel)

I dunno, it was competent. Just really non-essential when you've got the original sitting right there.

I don't know if every single thing has to be Good, Mediocre, or Bad.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 23 Aug 2015 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I could swear there was a thread about the prequel as well, but perhaps it was just discussed in the "Just Watched" thread.

Anyway, John Carpenter's The Thing is my favorite movie ever made in any genre. It's just a rare example of a film that remains pretty much perfect from beginning to end and, despite how nuts the events transpiring get, they nonetheless remain grounded and believable. The cast is uniformly amazing and memorable and Rob Bottin's groundbreaking physical and makeup effects work is still fantastic (and nightmarishly original), even to this day. Plus, the Carpenter/Russell commentary on the DVD is one of the best ever. Hell, I even have a nice little Thing area on my toy shelf featuring the old McFarlane monsters and the MacReady put out by Sota Toys a few years back.

The prequel? Well, I had low expectations for it the second it was announced, although my negativity was tempered by the fact that it WAS in fact a prequel and not the dreaded remake everyone was fearing. Although, I have to admit, I was intrigued by the idea of telling the story of the Norwegian outpost only hinted at in the Carpenter flick, and after reading interviews with the filmmakers about how much they loved the 1982 version and how beholden they were to it, not to mention the fact they they kept going on and on about the fact that they were using physical effects as much as possible as opposed to CG...well, I gave it a chance.

Unfortunately, the prequel ended up being pretty disappointing. It was basically a carbon copy of the Carpenter movie but with bland characters, zero tension, and (despite promises of the filmmakers), the effects were almost entirely CG...poor quality CG. In the end, the prequel was completely forgettable. But it DID have Adebisi from Oz, so there's that, at least.

In way, I'm actually happy the prequel bombed, as it probably put the kibosh on any plans for a remake of the Carpenter film (I keep having to stop myself from typing "the original" as there's the 1950's movie to consider, despite the fact that all these movies are actually based on John W. Campbell's Who Goes There?, to which Carpenter's adaptation is far more loyal).

As for the PS2 game, I enjoyed the hell out of it. The Thing theme aside (which was well-done), it had very solid gameplay and graphics for the time (the new Thing designs were nice and twisted and remained in line with Bottin's work) and a good story and atmosphere. The whole fear/trust system with your teammates was handled very well, although it was hampered somewhat by the times you'd give one of them a blood test that would come out as negative, and then two seconds later when you reached a scripted point they'd Thing-out nonetheless for the sake of the storyline. But other than that, it was a great game.
    The Thing is among my favorite sci fi horror movies as well, I actually watched the collector's edition DVD again right after the prequel since I didn't have it on blu ray and it still holds up really well. It's too bad that the blu ray took the really good documentary material of the DVD and put it in a small PiP panel though. The picture quality of the documentary wasn't that great in the first place but it was dumb to just not replicate it for the blu ray.

One of the most interesting parts of the documentary as far as the characters go was Charles Hallahan's describing his character kind of knowing he might have been infected. It was an interesting wrinkle since usually The Thing tended to absorb and then impersonate the host whereas Norris was slowly turning into it. Thanks for the info on the videogame btw, I wished that was remade for the console or something since it has interesting ideas.

I'm sure there was a thread, but search is incredibly broken.
    I really dig the Carpenter film and felt much the same about the prequel as Dolemite. It may as well have been a remake since it pretty much followed the events of the Thing '82.
    That said, I love the street joke in the beginning of the prequel. I'd never heard it before and it made lol for real.
    My girlfriend really had a good laugh at that joke, I was still processing it a bit at the time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Poke around studioADI's channel and you'll find a lot of making of videos for a ton on movies they've done (The Thing being one of them). Allegedly, the project started for the SFX to be split 80/20 in favor of practical over CG. These guys have done a ton of special effects for decades, I find it hard to believe their work was so bad it had to be replaced in a panic. Here's the link to all the BTS The Thing videos which shows concept art, maquettes, sculptures, painting, test footage and on set prep/filming:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...p9QL-VUQ2BknEf

You'll be surprised at how much was built and filmed practically. Some parts they sculpted specifically to hand over to be scanned and animated by the CG teams and they built some rigs to help with fire compositing shots. They made 2 complete alien pilots (one mummified, one alive) that were never used.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    From the videos they've released the practical work actually looked really goddamn good.

But the idiot fucking director wanted it all thrown out because it looked "too much like an 80s movie"
    http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/18920...sus-cg-effects
    Wow, idiot indeed.

Those practical effects looked great, there was no good reason to dump those when they could have just enhanced them. I think the worse of the lot was Grigg's, the concept of showing his face and torso being ripped apart with a bunch of tendrils shooting out was terrifying and cool but it just didn't look right.

Last edited by Will; 23 Aug 2015 at 05:30 PM.

3. I ended up with an old roomate's copy of the game, feels a bit PS2 Deus Ex for my tastes but the ideas in it are really cool.

4. When the Thing prequel came out there was a free cell phone app where you could take a selfie that would then be mapped onto a 3d model and your face would do the same thing as Grigg's up there. It was pretty cool.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Oh, and:

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. That's a cute re-enactment of all those horrible scenes.

7. Did they redo the penguin one?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    When the Thing prequel came out there was a free cell phone app where you could take a selfie that would then be mapped onto a 3d model and your face would do the same thing as Grigg's up there. It was pretty cool.
    Did it look better? His tranformation looked like shit. Fucking CG.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Did it look better? His tranformation looked like shit. Fucking CG.
    I found a screencap of some random dude using the app. As you can see, the quality looks about the same as the movie. That's good for a cell phone, but a big fucking fail on the movie's part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dolemite; 23 Aug 2015 at 10:47 PM.

10. Lol, yeah. The movie's not much better. That's sad.