Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: CliffyB's LawBreakers

1. CliffyB's LawBreakers

Gears of War lead designer Cliff Bleszinski has a new game and it's a free first-person shooter called LawBreakers. It's described as a "new FPS that's all about skill, not streaks," set in a futuristic world where people have near super-human abilities thanks to low-gravity zones. It's a five-on-five multiplayer PC game where law enforcement squares off against criminals, and Bleszinski says that the three main pillars of the game are "gangs, guns, and gravity." The game will have a major focus on characters, and half of the playable cast will be female.

LawBreakers is the first from Bleszinski’s new studio Boss Key, which he formed after parting ways with Epic Games in 2012, the studio behind the original Gears and influential games like Unreal Tournament. While the game was only officially announced today, we’ve known that it was in the works since 2014. Last July, Nexon — which will be publishing the game — revealed that it had partnered with Bleszinski on a "free-to-play first-person shooter" that at the time was known under the working title "Project BlueStreak." "Making the move to free-to-play games is all about maximizing the potential audience for your title while embracing where the industry is headed," Bleszinski said at the time.

LawBreakers is scheduled to launch some time next year. source: Verge

I want to see some gameplay.

UT99 is one of the best games ever made.
    Last edited by sedition; 26 Aug 2015 at 01:20 PM.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. I'll try it since he's partially responsible for two of the all-time best shooters, UT99 and GOW1.

3. CliffyB is a shitty hypeman/mapmaker. The only contribution he had on the UT scene was telling people which map "owned". I'll try the game, of course, but I'm not expecting UT99/04 greatness.

4. I've largely lost interest in first-person shooters as a genre, but CliffyB really is great. UT99 was a big part of my life for several years, and in every interview of his that I've read or watched over the last fifteen years he's always been able to articulate spot-on what makes a good FPS good.

This may not be something I'm all that interested in playing, but if he's overseeing it then I doubt it'll suck.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    CliffyB is an overhyped, douche canoe dudebro.
    Fixed.

Isn't Nexon publishing this? I'm sure it's gonna turn out great.

6. The hate. I can absolutely understand why people have that perception of him, though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    CliffyB is a shitty hypeman/mapmaker. The only contribution he had on the UT scene was telling people which map "owned". I'll try the game, of course, but I'm not expecting UT99/04 greatness.
    Designing the maps for a multiplayer game is a pretty significant contribution.

His role in Gears of War was also far greater than a simple "hypeman/mapmaker."

8. EAT THAT JAZZ RABBIT DICK!

9. Gamasutra - Postmortem: Unreal Tournament

Interesting read if you played the game back in the day.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

UT99 is my most played multiplayer game. I'm not expecting a return of that style, especially after III bombed, but I'm interested to see what they come up with.