Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Cool.

1. The Death of Cool.

We live in a world where grown ass men buy toys, read comics, play video games, and build shrines to their childhood within their homes. None of that shit is cool.
    I don't think enjoying any of those things deprives one of being cool, but I think when they become the focus of your free time you stop being cool.

When I think of cool, I think of 70s and 80s action and rock stars. Who can we point at today and say "that dude epitomizes cool"? Some of the people that spring to mind would be Johnny Depp and Jack White. But the more I think about them, I find them more odd than cool.

Is anyone cool anymore or has cool died? Is there a Fonzie of today?

Cool died when access to celebrities' personal lives became so easily accessible and they started using their positions to spout their worthless opinions. Before then, we could assume that some of these guys were bullet proof, but now we know they have just as many or more warts as the rest of us.

3. I'm old, too, but this thread and rant reeks of "I'm getting old and I don't understand what's 'hip' anymore."

You just have to accept culture changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post

When I think of cool...
    Here's the thing: It no longer matters what you think is cool. You're no longer the age that decides what cool is.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 09 Aug 2015 at 03:49 PM.

4. I'm not talking about hip. Nerd shit is what's hip. I'm talking about cool.

5. Semantics. What's "cool" has been changing every generation. No offense intended, but why do you think your definition of cool is definitive and timeless? Because that's the implication; that cool has "died" because it's changed to something you don't agree with/understand.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 09 Aug 2015 at 03:48 PM.

6. I think what has also made people seem less cool is that a lot of these celebrities are trying to become brands. Like Dean Martin or Keith Richards didn't give a fuck. But a guy like, I don't know, LeBron James or Jay-Z try so hard to make money that they just come off as dorky.

Yeah, I think Diff is onto something as well. If your name has ever appeared on a product following the word "by," you're not cool.

8. The nineties were cynical and everything sucked and the cool kids were sarcastic.
    Those people grew up and the aughts were emo, the world around me didn't matter and I sucked and all the cool kids were scene.
    Those people grew up and left the teens narcissistic, I'm awesome and the world around me is shit, and all the cool kids are the most sensitive with the upmost refined standards to be offended by.

These kids will grow up and the next decade will swing back to another hippie love generation where we are all dust in the wind, dude.

Twenty years form then, there will be the 80's action stars and pro wrestling cool bros to rally round.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I think what has also made people seem less cool is that a lot of these celebrities are trying to become brands. Like Dean Martin or Keith Richards didn't give a fuck. But a guy like, I don't know, LeBron James or Jay-Z try so hard to make money that they just come off as dorky.
    This argument sounds like pointing out a difference in a specific culture than a difference in cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Twenty years form then, there will be the 80's action stars and pro wrestling cool bros to rally round.
    WTB: Cryogenic chamber for 20+ years