Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nioh (PS4)

1. I know almost nothing about this game besides what I read in the last few posts, but for some reason I've known I wanted it for a while. I like Souls games a little, and Team Ninja (news to me) makes me very excited. Can anyone playing confirm that it's the must play title I suspect it is?

2. I'm about 99.9% positive this will be right up your alley. I love me some Souls, but I'm holding off a bit on this just because I'm so burnt out on Dark Souls in general. It's pretty much a Souls game.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I know almost nothing about this game besides what I read in the last few posts, but for some reason I've known I wanted it for a while. I like Souls games a little, and Team Ninja (news to me) makes me very excited. Can anyone playing confirm that it's the must play title I suspect it is?
    Yeah, this game is the bee's knees. What's great is, like a fighting game, you can succeed with a basic understanding of the systems, but there's room to go so much deeper. So combat can look like Souls, or it can approach character action. The biggest downside of the game thus far is the lack of enemy variety and stage gimmicks, making things a bit samey. But the combat is soooo good it totally makes up for it. Like how I used to replay the Monster Hunter Tri demo vs qurupeco over and over and over and over. I do the same thing here with the named human stages.

Nirvana is Just Guarding with Katana in medium stance to throw the enemy off balance, overpowering them and throwing them to the ground, switching to dual katanas, stabbing them on the ground, then charging up a double Iai slice as they get up.

Oh, and another protip for anyone else who goes Katana/Dual Katana. High stance power attack with dual katana to katana's weapon switch attack is great for getting good damage out of small openings. Likewise, baiting an attack, then charging up a double Iai slice, then doing the katana switch attack. I love switch attacks. In Bloodborne, and in here.

Oh, and dual katanas have a block and attack at the same time move! I like to use that, then heavy attack, then katana weapon switch attack.

4. Another big deal is Ki Pulse. Works like active reloading in Gears. Hit it right and you recover about 80% of the Ki (stamina) used in a combo.

Very early in, you can unlock skills that treat your dodge as a Ki Pulse for each stance. Do that and you become a constantly moving force. Fight, dodge, keep fighting. You'll eventually run out of Ki and need to rest, but the pace is breakneck compared to Souls.

5. OH! Also, you can set the graphics to three configs - either constant 30fps with good textures; a variable framerate where, good luck; and a constant 60fps with lower res textures. Go for the last one. It's so nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. yeah constant 60fps is the only correct choice.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    You'll eventually run out of Ki and need to rest, but the pace is breakneck compared to Souls.
    That's what Flux and Flux 2 are for. If you can't push your offense anymore and don't need to evade ASAP, with Flux 1/2 you can stance change during Ki pulse to get back in there quicker, or to continue pushing.

Now if I can condition myself to actually use it...

8. I'm still challenged to use Flux right, but unlocking ki pulse on dodge immediately is a must.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. It's kind of weird that Gears reload mechanic was not stolen by every single game.

10. Yeah - kinda like how I was convinced everyone would have stolen the Nemesis system from Mordor (Mafia III could've used it!), and yet nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.