Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am Setsuna (PC, PS4, JPSV)

2. This has been out in Japan for a bit, how did it do?

3. Considering this is PC and PS4 those visuals are really underwhelming.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. I may be mistaken, but I suspect that's kind of the point. I think it was SSJN that said a while back that he preferred PS2-era JRPGs because they were immediately identifiable as video games and not yet striving for increased realism in any meaningful way. There's a comfort to the visual style that I appreciate and find quite pretty, actually.

I'm curious to see how this little experiment of SE's turned out.

5. I think you can go for an artstyle that isn't realistic, and speaks to the classic RPGs of the 16-Bit, PS1, and PS2 generation, without it looking like a PS2 game played in an emulator. This doesn't look like a production from one of the "best" in the industry, it looks like an indie game that only understands those titles from a superficial level.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. I loved the demo I played of it. Got about an hour's worth of play and really want to continue on. It just felt right somehow, like the kind of RPG I'd have played back in the 16-bit era without all the "look at how old school I am"-ness that tends to accompany this kind of game.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I think you can go for an artstyle that isn't realistic, and speaks to the classic RPGs of the 16-Bit, PS1, and PS2 generation, without it looking like a PS2 game played in an emulator. This doesn't look like a production from one of the "best" in the industry, it looks like an indie game that only understands those titles from a superficial level.
    I mean, it doesn't look fantastic, but it looks really good for what it is.

did i talk about how much i hate modern gamers and gaming yet today

or how i know i'm getting old

and how sometimes i wish i died in the hospital because i don't like this post-Iwata world
    Donk

8. Dark, Finch. If I must, I'll make the kind of game you like. Just...don't lose hope...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    like the kind of RPG I'd have played back in the 16-bit era without all the "look at how old school I am"-ness that tends to accompany this kind of game.
    Describe what that actually means?

I hear this complaint a lot:

"Because 8/16-bit is hip and trendy, they really don't care, they're just exploiting nostalgia idiots."

I mean hell, I'm glad at the embarrassment of riches we get today. Bloated bullshit AAA if you're into that. Niche 4X games if you're into that. People willing to revisit old graphical styles...weren't we all the crotchety fucks who thought the end of 2D was the end of good, 'true' gaming back on the PS1? Now here we are, with more stuff trying to fit and satiate every kind of audience under the sun...and it's presumed that this is the Wrong Thing, and every old-school-tinged game has to work extra hard to prove itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. It looks like a Dreamcast or PS2 game with some more modern effects. I'm just mad about people being all fucking snobby about graphics these days. "WEH IT"S NOT 60FPS WEH IT DOESN"T LOOK GOOD BECAUSE IT DOESN"T HAVE EITHER A AAA OR INDIE BUDGET THERE CAN'T BE ANYTHING IN BETWEEN". BACK IN MY DAY WE THOUGHT SHINING IN THE HOLY ARK LOOKED LIKE SHIT BUT WE LOVED IT ANYWAY AND WE DIDN'T COMPLAIN. Well, maybe we did, that game looks terrible. But this doesn't! I don't get NeoZeed's comment about it looking like a PS1 game at all, and i love me some PS1 games.
    Now that i watch it again, it looks a lot more appealing, way better than that original trailer made it look. I hope i can get this when it comes out.
    Donk