Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top Ten of the PS3/Wii/360 Generation (2005-2013)

Your Top Ten of the PS3/Wii/360 Generation (2005-2013)

With the last major exclusives from the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii nearing two years old, it's (past) time for TNL to once again show the rest of the internet how a Top Ten list is done. In some ways, it's hard to believe that Gears of War: Judgment, Gran Turismo 6 and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword are as old as they are. In others, it's hard to believe that generation lived as far past its prime as it did. That longevity should in theory lead to more diversity in our collective opinions.

Please rank your top 10 games on the three platforms listed plus PC that were released between 4th quarter 2005 and 4th quarter 2013. In a week or two, I'll tally the results using a system of 10 points for 1st through 1 point for 10th. Replies with less than five ranked games will be ignored. If you change your mind, please edit your post instead of re-posting.

I'll get us started, though I reserve the right to edit this until I do the tally:

10. The Last of Us
    9. Red Dead Redemption
    8. BioShock
    7. Mass Effect 2
    6. Fallout 3
    5. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
    4. Demon's Souls
    3. Gears of War 2
    2. Uncharted 2
    1. Deathsmiles

Honorable Mentions:
    Alien Isolation (excluded as cross-gen)
    Dishonored
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    The Evil Within (excluded as cross-gen)
    Portal
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Last edited by Yoshi; 19 Sep 2015 at 03:16 PM.

2. DS and PSP count, right?

This should be interesting. I will have to think for a while.

Alien Isolation came out in 2014. Or are cross gen games from post 2013 okay if they're the PS3/360 versions?

Please don't be a GAF member and number gaming generations. There isn't a universally agreed upon number of them and it gets confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    DS and PSP count, right?
    I don't believe we included portables last time, as they tend to straddle console generations.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Alien Isolation came out in 2014. Or are cross gen games from post 2013 okay if they're the PS3/360 versions?
    Oops. Good catch. The intent was not to include those. I just blew it when brainstorming my list.

Please don't be a GAF member and number gaming generations. There isn't a universally agreed upon number of them and it gets confusing.
    I'm not a fan of the numbers either, but I thought it may be better than just listing the consoles.

edit: Fixed.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 19 Sep 2015 at 03:01 PM.

5. Nintendo
    Super Nintendo
    N64
    GameCube
    Wii
    Wii U

I count six.

6. Deathsmiles is #1?

really?

I have to think about my (slanted to shooters and racers) list if I provide one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Deathsmiles is #1?

really?
    The relative ranking is damn near impossible, but my logic there is that I would (and will, Steam allowing) buy that one a third time, whereas I've thus far passed on the remasters of other games.

edit: Along the same lines, I Platinumed Uncharted 2 but not The Last of Us. I may have ME2 too low, as I beat that on two platforms and Platinumed it.

edit2: I bumped it up a couple. I feel like I have too many RPGs in there, but I also have trouble not including Skyrim.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 19 Sep 2015 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    DS and PSP count, right?
    Back to this, I'm perfectly willing to do a dedicated poll for those once I figure out what the hell my list would be.

9. Oh, lists.

Platform-agnostic, whichever version goes when you push the button.

Cross-generation seems to mean 'the games that end up on the PS4 were made for the PS3, enjoy our additional painstaking 'trash blowing around' effects and additional light bloom, here's a sneeze of an FPS boost so you don't feel like a chump, now shut up'.

1. Super Meat Boy
    2. Dustforce
    3. Catherine
    4. Super Street Fighter IV
    5. King of Fighters XIII
    6. Pac-Man CE
    7. Alien Isolation
    8. Punch-Out!! Wii
    9. Mirror's Edge
    10. Metal Gear Solid IV

side-props: Mark of the Ninja, Castle Crashers, Diablo III, Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition, Afterburner Climax, Outrun Online, Dragon's Crown, Metal Gear Rising Revengerancination, Mega Man 9
    Last edited by YellerDog; 19 Sep 2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Based on the list you provided above, it would consist of nine mainstream soccer mom games and one outlier.