Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 68910

Thread: Your Top Ten of the PS3/Wii/360 Generation (2005-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by No One
    2.) The Void (Pathologic is better, but missed the cutoff by a few months)
    This is the most interesting pick in the thread. I got stuck and couldn't beat The Void but it was one of the most surreal gaming experiences I have had.

2. I tried to like The Void, but The Void didn't try as hard to like me

10. F.E.A.R. 2

The first F.E.A.R. has really great AI, the best bullet time in games, and satisfying weapons. But it often forgets that it is trying to be a horror game, meaning you only get occasional reminders of the supernatural via flickering lights or shaking doors. The level design is also godawful, combining all the dullness of real offices and warehouses with all the idiocy of "game" architecture like rotating bridges that have no logical reason for existing.

But F.E.A.R. 2 solves all of that. It retains the AI and gunplay of the original while also maintaining a much more consistent horror atmosphere. The levels are much better designed, so even though they evoke real places they eschew that when it wouldn't make sense within a game. It's a wonderful, near-faultless FPS and my pick for the best of that genre for the past generation.

9. Super Mario Galaxy

I really like this game for both how classically Nintendo and yet how un-Nintendo it is. The controls are spot-on, each level is bursting with creativity, it runs and looks great for the Wii... so far, basically Nintendo doing what they do best. But it also ditches the sequenced music (often using ancient, circa-1996 samples) that Nintendo relied upon to this point, it has a more detailed story than Nintendo ever puts into their non-RPGs (without forcing you to sit through long cutscenes), and shows remarkable restraint about shoehorning the motion gimmick into the game.

I was trying to choose between this and the sequel, which is basically just a more refined standalone expansion. The Doom II to Doom. I decided on this because I realized I had completed it twice while I had only finished Super Mario Galaxy 2 once. That staying power is something to be respected.

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition

Pac-Man modernized. The split board setup that prevents any downtime is a brilliant design decision, and the three minute time limit motivates the most efficient scoring you can manage. Top it off with great leaderboard integration, and you have the textbook example of how to bring a classic arcade game into the modern era without losing anything.

7. GRID

One of my favourite racing games. It's somewhere between arcade and sim and succeeds incredibly well. No tuning or car tweaking. Just get out there and race. And once you're on the track, the slightly exaggerated arcadey handling encourages you to try daredevil manuevers while the simulation elements of realistic damage and traction keep you constantly tense and on your toes. One little thing that this game does that almost no other racing game has even attempted is the idea that you don't have to win every race. The game's goal system pushes you towards doing the best you can with what you have (and consequently the game doesn't ever baby you and let you win races that your car can't possibly win), rather than trying to place first every single time.

6. ilomilo

It's a beautiful little puzzle game. A little reminiscent of Binary Land but is most definitely doing its own thing. The presentation is top-notch (I especially like the "flawed" music and the creature designs) and the puzzles iterate on concepts in a really satisfying, always challenging way.

5. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Not much to say about this one. It's the pinnacle of modern twin-stick shooters. Six different modes requiring different approaches, perfect controls and enemy spawn patterns, great leaderboard integration. It's simple and perfect.

4. Red Dead Redemption

Rockstar's best open world game. A lot of the usual Rockstar systems (wanted level, civilian reaction to gunfire, transportation theft) make a lot more sense in this setting than in modern day. On top of that, the story is great, the action feels super solid, and all of the side activities both make sense and are enjoyable.

3. Fallout 3

Bethesda's best RPG. It's clunky (but far less so than most of their other efforts) but, as usual, the mostly-realized ambitious design outweights the flaws. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and the use of "normal" experience points is something I like a lot more than the Elder Scrolls method of leveling up. VATS is simple but never gets old. The world is interesting to explore and filled with a lot of things to do.

But what puts it over the top for me are all the little stories embedded in the world. Subtle things, like the position of skeletons or stacks of debris give you things to ponder as you ransack the Capitol Wasteland for weapons and items.

2. Space Giraffe

Don't feel bad if you aren't able to understand the greatness of this shooter. Few people are enlightened enough. Behind the psychedelic visuals and animal noises is a deep, complex, brilliant game. There are so many variables to track. Bulling enemies off the web. Juggling shots. Tending flowers. It's insane and wonderful.

1. Crusader Kings 2

Both one of the greatest strategy games and one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Complete freedom to do whatever you want within the social constraints of medieval Europe... and India, and Central Asia, and the Middle East. Take control of a historical dynasty and see if you can do as well as they did. Take control of a nobody and see if you can change history. Or just do silly things like try to breed (even more) physical deformities into the Hapsburgs. Crusader Kigns II was a great game at release and has only gotten better with the many expansions fleshing out different areas and cultures within the time period.

4. Bioshock
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Street Fighter 4
    Portal
    Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
    Red Dead Redemption
    Left 4 Dead
    Fallout 3
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Forza Motorsport 4

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

5. I'm only thinking of nine... Feel like I lost out a lot not owning a Wii. For all the poop it got, there were maybe more games I'd like to try on it than PS3 in retrospect. Hoping the next Nintendo console is backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U (I know it won't be).

Nier Replicant
    The Last of Us
    Dark Souls
    Deadly Premonition
    Stuntman Ignition
    Steins Gate
    Portal 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Kentucky Route Zero

6. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    This is the most interesting pick in the thread. I got stuck and couldn't beat The Void but it was one of the most surreal gaming experiences I have had.
    Ice-Pick Lodge is the very definition of a niche developer. I'm a huge fan of their stuff.

There's a mod floating around that greatly increases the amount of color you're able to harvest. The game is a lot easier to enjoy with it in place.

I've been busy as heck recently, so I didn't get this tabulated as quickly as I thought I would. Please try to get your lists and updates posted ASAP, because I hope to have this knocked out this weekend or next.