Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Shut the @#%* Up Already.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Are you serious? KPIs in and of themselves aren't a thing (and I think most people here know how I feel about management in general ;/), but well-thought out ones are. It's hard to improve what you aren't measuring.
    its still business speak for "measure and do the most important things" which should be obvious. And it has been obvious sense like, the industrial age. It was probably obvious before that. Successful dukes and lords were probably watching those things that made them successful.

Its needless. People were not just running around screaming before the term, KPI. And if they were, the invention of the word probably didn't stop it. They probably just have lots of meetings about KPI's, mismanage their people, and then continue to run around screaming.

If you just mean the acronym "KPI," then I agree with you. Joust is 100% right about the concept though. If you use metrics correctly, you're not going to mismanage your people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Seriously? Do you know who Pareto actually was?
    Yes. An asshole.

I'm aware that he studied property and wealth distribution in Italy and other places. I'm aware that it almost always broke down to 20% of the population owning 80% of the wealth.

BUT, did he or anyone else actually study the few 1000 other things that the 80/20 rule is applied to? When your bosses says that 20% of his employees make 80% of mistakes, has anyone studied that or is he just repeating something from the MAKEMONEYNOW book he got from Barnes and Noble?

If you just mean the acronym "KPI," then I agree with you. Joust is 100% right about the concept though. If you use metrics correctly, you're not going to mismanage your people.
    No one is saying that business shouldn't measure things. Don't derail the thread with that nonsense. The thread is about words.

You know, like how soda pop the thing is ok. It is ok that it exist on this planet. But you don't like when people call Sprite, Coke. The Sprite is still ok, you just don't like this word other people are using for it?

You know, words? The topic of the thread?

How do you make those two posts back-to-back? If the business is measuring things, then the 80/20 rule is one of the simplest things there is to "test."

6. On topic, I hate the words 'blog' and 'app'

7. Shut the @#%* Up Already.

"I'm not gonna lie." Well I'd hope you have the courtesy without having to point it out.
    Boo, Hiss.

How do you make those two posts back-to-back? If the business is measuring things, then the 80/20 rule is one of the simplest things there is to "test."
    Management actually looking at the data for the things that leave their mouth is a dubious claim.

Like, I do machine downtime at work monthly. I even make a ....Par..eto Chart. It has NEVER matched the 80/20 rule. Never, ever.

And yet you'll hear some dumb fuck manager say "80/20"

It doesn't mean anything to them. Its just a buzz word to them. Just something to throw out there to look like they know what they're talking about.

It would be so easy to "test" but I don't see anyone doing it. So I question if anyone has actually tested it for the majority of the behaviors that managers like to attribute to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    On topic, I hate the words 'blog' and 'app'
    I hate app too. I hate that 15 years ago you could just say Program, Software and Application and people would know what you were talking about and now the dominate word is app because we're all too fucking lazy to say application.

Its even worse when it is used as a buzz word for "great idea" for a completely unrelated field. Like, "we need a killer app to sell these used cars"

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Management actually looking at the data for the things that leave their mouth is a dubious claim.
    You're discussing the actual utilization of these things in real life, Yoshi is discussing the way they're supposed to be used. One of you needs to switch gears.

Vaguely related: My management recently tried to push a policy that would quite literally endanger the lives of patients, refused to implement the procedures that would be needed for it to not increase the chances of killing people as much, and then falsified data to try and prove to higher ups that their program was working and they were measuring things when they weren't. When in doubt, make it up, I suppose.

Now back to the discussion of hated phrases.