Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Shut the @#%* Up Already.

1. Shut the @#%* Up Already.

IP mentioning that people love to complain reminded me that I wanted to make a thread for all of us to complain in concerning stupid shit that people say way too often.
    I'm sick of hearing people say "shots fired!"

In before "literally" and "obviously." Those are easy ones.

2. Irregardless is not a word.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

"actually" when used too often.

4. Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    Irregardless is not a word.
    My son called me out on this one. I don't know how it entered my lexicon, but it was a bitch getting rid of it.

5. Maybe this is endemic to my workplace, but misunderstanding of the 80/20 rule. The 80/20 rule is about the tendency of 20% of the causes accounting for 80% of the results e.g., 20% of employees making 80% of the of complaints, 20% of products accounting for 80% of profits, etc. It does not mean "This thing works 80% of the time," or "This is true 80% of the time." I hear managers drop "well, 80/20 rule" as a kind of trump card to defend their B- ideas and processes all the time.

I'm not sure if these match the intent of the thread, but there aren't too many easier ways to look completely uneducated than to type "could of" or say "I seen."

Definitely on topic is "pop." It's fucking soda, and "Coke" is a specific product and brand name, just like "Kleenex" or "Q-tip."

Also, I don't give a damn if the dictionary has been dumbed down to let you get away with it; it's "all right" and not "alright."

7. Also, "...said no one ever." You're basically just going "...NOT!" in 2015. I'm embarrassed for you.

I like that one, though I never would have thought of it.

9. "On accident" bothers me. I know it's becoming idiomatic, but it just sounds bad. If you don't like "by accident" just say "accidentally".

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Definitely on topic is "pop." It's fucking soda, and "Coke" is a specific product and brand name, just like "Kleenex" or "Q-tip."
    What's worse is when people complain about this, and then use the word "Dumpster" instead of waste disposal bin.
    Last edited by kedawa; 20 Sep 2015 at 01:28 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Maybe this is endemic to my workplace, but misunderstanding of the 80/20 rule. The 80/20 rule is about the tendency of 20% of the causes accounting for 80% of the results e.g., 20% of employees making 80% of the of complaints, 20% of products accounting for 80% of profits, etc. It does not mean "This thing works 80% of the time," or "This is true 80% of the time." I hear managers drop "well, 80/20 rule" as a kind of trump card to defend their B- ideas and processes all the time.
    There's definitely a notion of spending 20% of the time/work required to address 80% of the use cases or to take most things through a critical path, though. But I'm not sure what your management is talking about.