Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Shut the @#%* Up Already.

1. Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    Irregardless is not a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    My son called me out on this one. I don't know how it entered my lexicon, but it was a bitch getting rid of it.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Last edited by Opaque; 21 Sep 2015 at 03:10 AM.

I thought "pop" is most of all Midwest in the US. Despite that, I say soda. Soda is a beverage. Pop is a noise.

Similarly, O is a letter, and 0 is a number which is pronounced "zero".

There's some acronyms which I know what they stand for but I fabricated another phrase which fit the letters before knowing and let it stay in my head even though I know it's wrong. For example, I see SMH as so much hate and JNC as Jack and Coke. I know they stand for other things but I don't care.

A constant irritant is the movie quote "threw up in my mouth a little". Right, because there's other places you can throw up in your body, such as your chest or ankles I guess. And you managed to throw up just a little, because you decided to have some restraint there. It would be rude to vomit the entire contents of whatever it is that you're throwing up into, seeing as how you need to specify that it is your mouth in the usual case, so it's a good thing it was only a little.

"At the end of the day" is a very tedious way to say the word "ultimately".
    Last edited by dog$; 21 Sep 2015 at 05:37 AM.

3. Improper use of "that" when referencing a human being or a group of people ("who" should be used).

Also, the word "Latino". Can't stand it, especially since I'm Hispanic.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

4. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    "Due to the fact that." Just say "due to." Every "the fact that" can be avoided if you're willing to work a little.
    Just don't say "due to" at all. Most of the time, what people actually mean by that is "because of".

5. "As it were" is very annoying, and I use it when I'm trying to be annoying.

"Like a boss" makes me cringe unless I'm listening to the Lonely Island song.

"You know what I'm saying?" and all of it's variants up to and including "Nahmeen?" It adds nothing. The person you're speaking to will let you know if they understand you or not. Usually.

"I can get..." working at a gas station I hear this A LOT. It's not the proper way to begin asking for something and I want to yell that at anyone who starts a sentence that way. "I can get a pack of Newports." Is it my turn to say something I can do? I'm confused now.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    "I can get..." .
    Never heard this one, but I did hear "Whatcha get for a PS2?" a lot when working at a game store in RI. Are you asking me how much we give for a PS2 trade in? Or how much a PS2 costs to buy? Or do you want to know what games I personally own for the Playstation 2 Sony Entertainment Rectangle?

30% the first one, 70% the second, 0% the last.

Dobby can has sock? Dobby free elf now.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Never heard this one, but I did hear "Whatcha get for a PS2?" a lot when working at a game store in RI.
    That reminds me of American Pickers. "What do you get for...?" It makes even less sense in the context of a one of a kind item.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I'm waiting for Chao to come in here and drop a list of phrases from his management.
    I keep a list of these phrases. This is going to happen.

Preview:
    "What's the downstream impact?" = "How does this affect us later?"
    "Topgrading Session" = "phone interview"
    "Push the Excellence Quotient" = ???

10. People actually say 'push the excellence quotient'?

They might as well tell you to tighten up the graphics on level 3...except in that case, you have at least the vaguest clue on what to do