Thread: Building a mini pc for Photoshop

1. Building a mini pc for Photoshop

I may be building a small pc to power a Cintiq soon, but I've never tried to make a small computer, or tune it to Photoshop. The idea is to basically create something like a Mac Mini but cheaper, better and upgrade friendly. If I could achieve this in one of those tiny VESA mountable cases I'd love that.

This is for storyboarding in Photoshop. I will also run SB Pro and Artrage. The mobo needs a DVI port for the Cintiq, and HDMI.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? Yeller? Drew? I've come up with a preliminary idea here- anything I'm overshooting/undershooting on where I can save money?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s44NK8

2. So one thing I noticed right off the bat, that power supply is way too low. Even without a video card I think you're going to need more than 150 watts to power a Core i7. Maybe not much more, but 150W just seems too low to me.

Though I will also add, I think an i7 might be overkill for photoshop, and you might be able to get away running an i5. If I remember right Photoshop is ram HUNGRY. 16 gigs is probably enough but consider going to 32. You're on the right idea with an SSD but I think Photoshop scratch folders can murder them (all the writing to them shortens their life). Maybe consider a small like 500 gig HDD to use as the temp/scratch folder for Photoshop.

Maybe one of those guys can chime in with more up to date info on Photoshop, it's been a long time since I was using it regularly.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. The only reason it has 16 GB of ram is that if I'm making it small, all the mobos only have two slots. Although that mobo does support 32, 16GB sticks are prohibitively expensive. Same deal with the PSU, I just don't know what will fit in a case like this.

If the small form factor becomes a pipe dream then I can use my fancy videogame pc for this and drop some more ram in it.

4. What's your time frame here? The new Intel NUCs that are coming out later this year look like they'll be very capable, and they have a Thunderbolt port that can run an external GPU if need be.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What's your time frame here? The new Intel NUCs that are coming out later this year look like they'll be very capable, and they have a Thunderbolt port that can run an external GPU if need be.
    Those are about perfect I think. Wow, thanks. The NUC/Brix was my first idea but I discarded it because of price and limitations. These support 32GB of ram, M.2 SSDs and have a full size HDMI port though. I think we have a winner.

http://www.e-itx.com/nuc6i5syh.html

$789 for 32 GB ram and a 240GB M.2 SSD? Not bad.

6. Building a mini pc for Photoshop

Nice! My strategy in the past has been 'buy a cheap tower with an i5 and jam a huge amount of RAM and a good graphics card in it', this sounds significantly cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!