Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th: The Game

1. It's out now. Steam reviews are mixed but mostly positive, with the pros being that the game is well-made, fun, and that it looks great; the cons are some bugs and glitches, the lack of single-player mode (to be added this summer), and the price, which seems high ($40) for the limited amount of content (3 maps, a handful of counselors, and several different versions of Jason to play as).

Another bummer, from IGN's review:
    The problem is that, like in the similarly structured Evolve, you can’t choose to be Jason. One player is chosen at random at the start of the match, and with up to eight players that means there is a 12.5% chance of you being Jason. The other day I played all day long and only got to be Jason once.
    I'll pick it up anyway, although I'm tempted to wait for a sale. Some of the negative Steam reviews are really pointing out some annoying-sounding things, like a lack of control mapping and more than one function being assigned to the same key for some bizarre reason (like same key being used both to close windows and climb though them).
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 May 2017 at 11:49 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I give them credit for actually getting this game out, unlike, say, Space Ventures or Star Citizen. I really had my doubts.

3. Yeah especially because this was the contract team that totally fucked up their portion of the FPS module for Star Citizen.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. I didn't even know this was a game

Star Citizen is not a game, I know this

5. The game is pretty fun. It's a little glitchy, and the only way to guarantee a match at this point is to do up a private. You select quick join, and you'll sit there upwards of 20 minutes. And the servers were down half the day, apparently. They've since upgraded to a bigger server package.

I haven't quite gotten the controls down yet, though. Was playing as Jason and trying to blitz a group with the Evil Dead-esque Shift ability, accidentally activated the teleport ability and ended up in the opposite side of the map lol.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

6. It is amusing to see all the old school Jasons rendered with Kane Hodder's very recognizable physique. Bag-Head Jason wasn't nearly so buff back in the day.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. The potential for this game is fantastic, it's just not there yet. It needs at least another 8 months of development to finish it. 3 maps in anemic and it's buggy as hell. I've phased through a window instead of climbed through it only to be teleported back into the cabin 4 minutes later. The animation for everything is super basic. It crashes to the title and dashboard all the time. Setting up private games is easy enough (on Xbox) and is pretty much how I would do it anyway as playing with friends is the best.

I don't want to shit on this developer because they clearly love F13 and there's some great stuff here. It's impressive this small team turned around something that plays well and looks good in the time and amount of money they had, but I can't help but think of what a studio like NetherRealm could have done with this. They already have the tech from MKX to make this game really come to life. There's a lot of potential here, I hope they can get it to where they need it to be to justify the price and make this an easy recommendaton to others.

8. I've been playing this game for a while now, and it's really so much fun (the occasional glitch aside, some of which are actually very funny). And you can tell that it was made by people with a deep love and encyclopedic knowledge of the F13 material.

BTW, this guy is an absolute master of playing as Jason:

9. The Xbox version is still buggy as fuck with a memory leak that crashes the game. When it works, it's a lot of fun.

10. Did someone mention glitches?