Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detroit: Become Human (PS4)

This looked really fucking bad to me. Ugly and boring, just 0 interest.

2. From the Quantic Dreams page-

Some of you might remember our PS3 tech demo that we released in 2012. It was about an android who discovered she could feel emotions and appeared to be sentient. Many people were deeply moved by Kara and felt empathy for this character who just wanted to live…
    But everyone had the same question: what happens to Kara when she leaves the factory?
    To find out, we imagined a world in a near future where androids like Kara would look, speak and move like real human beings.
    We wondered how we –humans- would react if we were confronted with a new form of intelligence, how androids conceived as machines
    would be perceived if they started to have emotions.
    We didn’t want to do another story on AI (there are already so many great ones), we wanted to talk about what it means to be human
    and what it would be like to be in the shoes of an android discovering our world and their own emotions...
    Sooo... who programmed in emotions to the androids and why? I can deal with "people getting to grips with human-like AI" but why is it "Become Human" as a title, when androids would much rather become androids. Unless some asshole programmer decided to specifically code in a desire to be anything other than what they are.

To be clear, I get that this is some kind of metaphor for the human whatsit, but it's a stupid one and bad science fiction. I'd be interested in Detroit: Become Android, but the three-word title is pretty clear on its promise that this is another "humans are screwed up but the best thing to be" story. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but odds are against it.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I get that this is some kind of metaphor for the human whatsit
    That is where my interest ended. The 2016 trailer was better than the 2017 trailer.

4. I'd be quite interested in a game about two levels of sentience, one that's matured into its current state (us) and one finding its way, both coming to terms with each other. No wait, that would be a book, or possibly tv show. And most likely would take itself way too seriously.

5. Fool me once, shame on you

Fool me six times...well you can't fool me again

But they will

6. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    From the Quantic Dreams page-

Sooo... who programmed in emotions to the androids and why? I can deal with "people getting to grips with human-like AI" but why is it "Become Human" as a title, when androids would much rather become androids. Unless some asshole programmer decided to specifically code in a desire to be anything other than what they are.

To be clear, I get that this is some kind of metaphor for the human whatsit, but it's a stupid one and bad science fiction. I'd be interested in Detroit: Become Android, but the three-word title is pretty clear on its promise that this is another "humans are screwed up but the best thing to be" story. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but odds are against it.
    Sounds like you should play Mankind Divided, but to be fair, the story in that one is fucking terrible.

7. I'm not getting down with another Quantic Dream game until they show me they deserve it.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. So I decided to jump in on this. So far it's really impressive. It controls and plays a lot better than past games, and I haven't had any QTE kung fu battles yet (or actually any QTEs so far). It's doing a lot of things really well.

Of course I'm not naive enough to think that means the story will remain strong throughout, but we'll see.

This has been getting some poor reviews, but it seems like they're being reviewed by people who don't like this kind of game so I can't tell if it's actually good or not. I tend to like Quantic Dream games, at least before the story falls apart at the end.

10. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    before the story falls apart at the end.
    death, taxes, and this...the only guarantees in life