Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 57891011 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Sucks: The Thread

1. ESPN Sucks: The Thread

ESPN did what a lot of newspapers did in the 90s, cutting stuff that made them good and keeping the stuff that is visible, in an effort to make the changes look less drastic than they are. It is a mistake because it will unquestionably make their stuff worse, and people like better stuff more than they like worse stuff.

Im starting to wonder if the era of ESPN is just over. We don't need SportsCenter anymore. I've been watching the playoffs on TNT and it's perfectly good. NBC can show football games without having to prop up 24 hours of sports programming every day.

Might be time to cut all the extra channels (U, Classic, SEC channel, etc) and move sole of it to fill those 24 hours instead of a bunch of idiots shouting about how woke they are. But yea that would look really bad so that's why they didn't do it.

It tried to be MTV. Oops.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. They fired some pretty big hockey names there but the truth is that I only followed those guys on twitter and rarely went to ESPN for anything hockey related. Ever since it went to NBCSN (and what was that short lived network before that that NBC bought out) their coverage has had a certain, eh, "lack of enthusiasm". Feel bad for the writers, but screw ESPN.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    It tried to be MTV. Oops.
    Bill Simmons talks about this a lot, but ESPN doubled down on SportsCenter and struck huge deals with sports leagues right before their subscriber numbers started to collapse. ESPN gets $7 a month from every subscriber. They've lost 12M subscribers since 2013. Do the math.

They won't disappear, and someone will get that sports money, but they're not what they used to be and they never will.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 27 Apr 2017 at 07:42 PM.

5. Oh and a lot of people on sites today were saying that ESPN's liberal bent has nothing to do with this, but I'm not so sure. ESPN went all-in on Colin Kaepernick and spent time in the beginning of the football season describing what every fucking player did with the National Anthem. Maybe it won't make people not watch sports but it sure as hell will get people to not watch SportsCenter, especially when they can get every single thing that SC has somewhere else.

So sports fans are racists, thats what you're saying? Or fascists?

7. Sounds like that is what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    ...ESPN's liberal bent has nothing to do with this, but I'm not so sure. ESPN went all-in on Colin Kaepernick ...Maybe it won't make people not watch sports but it sure as hell will get people to not watch SportsCenter...

9. Yea, so in your world someone is either a far left liberal or a racist?

I'm not responsible for how you framed ESPN being liberal in the quoted post.