Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 68910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: new Star Trek tv series

1. So Orville is definitely proving to be an interesting show. Again I could do without the humor but it was limited to one scene and the rest was not bad at all. One more episode before the actual new trek starts next week.

2. So the last new Orville to air before Trek Discovery finally shows its cards turned out to be pretty spot on. The humor was great, the plot was interesting. It was very 60s Trekish with the whole talking about transgender stuff but its aliens so that's ok. I'm starting to think they just might know what they are doing.

3. As I posted on FB:
    Just watched the second episode of The Orville. I thought the first episode was pretty rough, but it's already enormously improved. The most striking thing is that MacFarlane and his co-writers clearly love Star Trek *deeply*. The show isn't actually a Trek parody so much as an homage that happens to have jokes - the humor isn't at the expense of Star Trek, it's just there for its own sake. You could cut most of it out and what you'd be left with is a story that would be right at home playing out in a TNG episode. It honestly feels like MacFarlane pitched a new Trek series he would've played straight (because Paramount wouldn't have done it as a comedy), got turned down, still really wanted to make it, and said "fine, I'll take my idea, file off the serial numbers, add jokes back in (because that's what the networks will want out of me), and shop it around as its own thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. I'm still upset that no one watched Other Space, so I'm skipping this out of spite. To be fair, it was on Yahoo Screen, so...yeah.

What is yahoo screen?

6. I think you mean what was Yahoo Screen.

7. And I don't know.

8. Yahoo's shitty attempt at a Netflix competitor that AFAIK never got past the free, ad-supported, browser-only stage. Only reason I know about it is it's where season 6 of Community ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

9. It was free though, wasn't it? Like Crackle?
    Other Space was the only thing I ever watched on it.

10. Yeah it was free, just had to watch commercials. Other Space & season 6 if Community were the only things I ever watched on it though.