Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paragon (PC, PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by koda View Post
    Well, we'll see. I think a MOBA wouldn't be a super route for them to take. And just about any sort of class-based shooter would feel pretty redundant to me, at least. They're both crowded markets.
    Battleborn is a class-based shooter MOBA. We're going to be hit with a bunch of these pretty soon.

3. So it is a MOBA after all.

4. NDA is now lifted, about to go into early access. I have really been enjoying this game and it does some things amazingly well. The game design itself is mostly standard MOBA, but the action is more traditional third person shooter than any other MOBA I've played. The character visual design is a little whatever since they went for realistic space action game, but I prefer the characters over Battleborn's even though the color palette is much more pleasing in Gearbox's title.

One of the things Paragon does that I absolutely love is perfect cross-platform support. It's the same account for PC and PS4, so I was able to open up card packs (they call items cards) on my PS4, switch the TV input to PC and then arrange my deck. What I wouldn't give for other major multiplayer games this generation to have exactly this (I'm looking at you, Bungie and Ubisoft). Players from both systems can play with and type to each other in matches, and the controller has some hotkeyed text commands for giving directions while playing. It's seamless and beautiful. I don't know about inviting people cross-platform as I didn't get to test that.

On the downside it is a little awkward with some animations, which doesn't matter overall but characters like Twinblast look super stiff. I also wish they had gone full HOTS and removed last hitting, but they at least made it so that some XP is shared with everyone on the team and last hitting just gives bonus XP. One thing some people will probably love is that they're making all heroes free instead of the normal MOBA hero rotation/purchasing, and stuff to buy will be just cosmetics and card packs, the latter of which can also be earned by playing normally.

5. Is it a direct-control game? I think that's the main thing that annoys me with HotS and LoL. Looks like I'm able to just start DL'ing it, but, I'm not sure if that gives me the client but no access. Suppose we'll find out! -the characters all seem pretty bleh, but so are the characters in Battleborn. I wonder if companies feel they always need to cover the bases first, in terms of design tropes, before introducing something more unique to their title's vision? More worrying, I wonder if they actually do, else the masses won't bother with it unless there's some cliche guy they can jump right into.

edit: oh nvm, I thought this was Battleborn, and I was struggling to imagine a more generic looking thing. Battleborn has some fun designs, but, it seems like has a lot "jank" too, to be succinct.
    Last edited by FuryFox; 14 Mar 2016 at 08:44 PM.

6. Yeah, it's direct control, more so than Smite if you played that. I would compare it vaguely to Gears of War without a cover system but that might set expectations. There's no sniping (even the assault rifle is a slow firing giant projectile gun) and most abilities are AOE in nature, so damage isn't reliant on super precise targeting thus gamepad/m&kb are pretty similar. I know early access is starting and anyone who had alpha access automatically gets in, but I think if you weren't in before you might need to buy one of their preorder cosmetic packages to get access at this point.

As I recall their plan is to release a new character every few weeks, so we'll see how diverse it gets (and we'll need it anyway to combat the no picking the same character). There's a chance I might have an invite available if they gave us any, I'll take a look and we can see if they even work now that alpha is over.

7. Yeah, it's $20 to buy in to the Early Access season.

8. I did have an invite but it no longer works, sorry.

It looks like everything in the preorder packs except for one skin can be earned in-game, but it will take a long time to do so.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I did have an invite but it no longer works, sorry.

It looks like everything in the preorder packs except for one skin can be earned in-game, but it will take a long time to do so.
    Great, thanks.
    jk

10. I never even noticed, it was from back in January.