Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Treasure Hunters and Explorers Famicom Club

Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    A nice looking platformer with mild character creation options. A PC Engine sequel was planned but ultimately cancelled.
    It really feels like an evolution of Mega Man. Takeru was a pretty good little company.

The HG101 guy has the prototype for PC Cocoron. It's one of those things where someone buys it to have on their shelf and doesn't upload it so nobody else can play it? I can't think of anything more selfish or disgusting when it comes to collectards.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I can sort of understand why people would be that way. Usually these protos cost a lot of money. Since it's not the physical object that really holds the value but the information contained within, why would someone want to give away what they had to pay for? So some jerk like me can make and sell a physical version?

They shouldn't spend any money on it and the person that found it originally, who I am sure is not one of the original devs, should have dumped it online.

The fact that the market for these exists at all is gross.

I guess I don't really get off on having something no one else can have so it's hard for me to relate.
    My Backloggery

4. Let me get Dez' number yo.

It's not everyone's God given right to play every game for free. As long as the guy is responsible in ensuring that the prototype is at least privately backed up for historical purposes, I have no issue with him not dumping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    One of these days I'm going to install one of those boards.
    It's totally worth it, and Tim's boards are a joy to work with. The only tricky part is getting the ppu out. It's probably cake for you but I had some trouble with some of the pins and managed to break one of them off of the chip. I was really lucky that I happened to be chatting with an engineer at the time that told me how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's not everyone's God given right to play every game for free. As long as the guy is responsible in ensuring that the prototype is at least privately backed up for historical purposes, I have no issue with him not dumping it.
    If a game company decides to sell a game to a private owner it'd be weird but fine, whatever. This is probably some janitor that found it profiting from some greedy motherfucker to just have a game for himself. All of that is so weird to me. I really don't get it at all.
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    If it's the original model, anything with a coaxial input should work. Change the channel to 94 and you're good to go. The AV and Twin Famicom systems had composite A/V output as well, it's a little easier to deal with and the picture will be a little better.
    You should really find a cheap/free Sony Trinitron that someone's about to have hauled away though and see if you can check if the picture's still good.

I like Gall Force on Famicom Disk System:

That intro is really nice, making great use of the Famicom color palette and the wave synthesis of the FDS. I can't recall anything else doing full color big character portraits so well. I'm sure there are a few that I don't know of, but even Moon Crystal and Ninja Gaiden don't use color as well.
    The game itself isn't bad for 1986, still plenty playable, but the ship is a little big and moves lowly until you get the rare speed power ups. It's cool that rescuing the characters gives you different power ups for the ship though.
    S. Iwata takes a couple places in the credits, Executive Producer included, and Wahyo Iwata takes a couple of credits as well. If the internet isn't lying or ignorant, Wahyo and Satoru are the same person, though i'm not sure why HAL wanted to pad the game credits. That along with HAL's late Famicom as well as super late Super Famicom Metal Slader Glory and his claim of Maison Ikkoku being his favorite manga in the early 80s makes me wonder if he was a big fan of anime and manga, at least through the 90s.
    *does a double take* dude, those portraits look as good as the early titles on the snes and gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Really?

So, the 5+ plus historical books I have. You're ok with me never ever releasing the information, even for museums, historians, or writers to see, so long as I like put them in a safe or kept my own personal copy?

I know, people are scoffing, "well, war is very serious business IP, you should probably eventually share those."

The early days of gaming is important too. It was a huge commercial success for science and technology. God knows what it funded. But it is pretty safe to say we'd be 20 or 30 years behind in computing if no one purchased all those home computers and home gaming systems. Somebody had to fund and drive those markets.

I'm of the opinion that anything that changed the world should be shared if possible. No matter how great or small, if people want it. Otherwise its just as good as never happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Just get an Analogue NT.