Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Treasure Hunters and Explorers Famicom Club

1. If the cart was the only way to play the game, you better believe you'd be putting a down payment and a small mortgage on that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. "I should be able to play ALL THE GAMES! I want to play his one! He's a dick!"
    Boo, Hiss.

yes

As someone that dabbles in all parts of this argument in another hobby, I can see all sides.

On one hand, these extraordinarily rare things should be own-able and sell-able by the individual. If you don't make it where people can own and sell these things at a profit, then there is little incentive for simple minded people to preserve them. A dollar value is a great equalizer and communicator to the simple minded. They may not understand why this thing is ultra rare or ultra valuable. But they understand a buck. You give them a dollar value and their brain instantly equivocates the item to things they do value. You say "well this game is worth $3000" and their mind jumps $3000 of stuff they do value.

Wonderful things leave this earth everyday because items can not communicate for themselves. Because they can't tell people outside their hobby how valuable they are. Everyday rare wonderful things go in the trash and/or destroyed. Nes games go in the trash. Rare books go in the trash. Rare old cars go to the scrapper. Homes and buildings where important things happened are left to rot and fall in. The majority of people are ignorant and stupid and let it happen.

But the ability to make money off of rare items makes some people pause and consider. It has created an industry of dealers that look for rare items. Hobbiest can't spend all of their time looking for items. Dealers can.

Also, ownership is of course important to museums. There isn't a MIB group that travels to important places and events and collects things for museums. Almost everything in the museums of the world was owned by an individual at one point in the items life. Someone bought it and preserved it. If they were not able to buy it, and the person on the other end was not allowed to sell it, that would have been the end of the item.

Take that Nintendo PlayStation for example. It was found at an auction. Had it not gone to auction, it would have ended up in the trash. The company would have paid a firm to come in and put everything in dumpsters. The Nintendo PlayStation would have probably been found by a pudgy old woman, shoveled into a garbage can with some old office stationary and a couple staplers and that would have been that.

BUT! The chance to make money saved it!

Secondly, the idea that "that should go to a museum" just doesn't always pan out. Some museums are horrible at preserving things. Take the Army Ordnance Museum for example. They don't preserve hardly any of their stuff. They have one of the rarest and largest collections of WW2 armored vehicles and they're almost all outside and rusted out on the inside. Other museums are selfish with their material. They'll let you donate money or items, but they won't share their library. You could have 1 of 2 items, them with the second, and need to scan or copy something to fix yours and a lot of museums would tell you tough shit. Glorified stationary amusement parks and you might compete for their window shopping adventurers.

But on the other hand, an item can become so rare and desired in a community that it is a social crime or taboo to withhold it. Like say if someone had lost cut footage to the first star wars. Or an incomplete Shakespearean play. Or the Hitchcock War Documentary he never released. On the last point, I think the imperial war museum has a copy of that documentary. Do they have a right to never show it because they own it? Should they be able to gate keep it? Maybe let one person fly out each year and watch it? Do film and war buffs have a right to think they're all dicks for withholding it?

Lastly, there is something a bit old fashioned to consider in instances of such rare items. The social contract. The owner of that rare game and other rare games utilize gaming communities. Their collections are probably full of games that they discovered from forum discussions and maybe even got bargains on forum trade boards. There ability to purchase the rare game probably would not exist without the community that wants to see it. Is there not an unspoken contract that they should share the game with so many that have shared with him? At the very least, be given the chance to shoulder the burden of purchase with everyone chipping in to recomp the costs?

I think there must be balance for these kind of communities to thrive. You can't lock things in museums. You can't expect everything to be free or for people to just give this shit up out of kindness. But you also can't lock it up in a house. It needs to be shared with the community that loves it if possible. From famous paintings to shitty half finished nes games.

Communities are weird. They have this paradox of needing people to spend money AND give shit away for free to thrive. If everything becomes about money, everything becomes soulless and the community dies. If everything is free, no one gets a fucking thing done and the community dies.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 09 Nov 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Now that I'm done with that short thesis, famicoms!

oh man, this Lagrange point for the famicom is so cool

the music is so good

8. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Yes. The hardware is interesting, but it's currently sold exclusively though a known hack for ridiculous money, apparently to fund further development while overcharging for beta kits.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-NES...8AAOSwLVZV2mtp

Rough cut hole, and you have to hack up your HDMI cable for it to even fit. Total amateur hour on a $500 system.
    Yeah true that. They keep claiming they're going to release just the mod kit to let people do it themselves, but so far nothing. It would be awesome to have a HDMI NES for under 500 fucking dollars.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

It's funny how Famicom multicarts try to keep up with the current gen with their artwork.

10. I have Lagrange Point. I want to get the rom swapped with the translated version but I'm too chicken to do it myself and too stubborn to have someone else do it when I should be able to.