Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Arc System Works buys Technos properties from Million Co., Ltd.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Tain, play NES DD2, PC Engine DD2, Battletoads and Double Dragon, then DD Advance. The Neo Geo fighting game based on the movie is maybe worth a look. I think you might already have played DD Neon and hated it, if not it's alright too.
    Thanks, I'll give these all a look (save Neon, didn't get into the demo). I've dabbled in the GBA game and it clearly rules, but I haven't tried the others.

I liked what I tried of Return of Double Dragon. Apparently the JP version is notably better?

It's a bit better. Basically, the us version wasn't finished, so the jp version has some tweaks and a real last boss battle. It's not a completely different game, but it is better.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    It's a bit better. Basically, the us version wasn't finished, so the jp version has some tweaks and a real last boss battle. It's not a completely different game, but it is better.
    I agree, though even the JP version doesn't seem to be completely finished either. Some of the stage obstacles haven't been implemented and one stage has non-working conveyors. No ending either. It's still a good game despite this, but the lack of working obstacles, which was a staple of previous DD games, is a bit disappointing.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    DD4 has throws. Grappling works like the NES games. Walking into the enemies after a kick.
    Landing 2 punches will work for grab setups as well. The rocket knee isn't only possible while getting up from a knockdown- it can also be done after landing from a jump. Knock an enemy down, start a jump at the right time, and this can hit an enemy as they get up.
    At least the enemy count is higher than what NES can do. I've seen 5 at once.
    This really could use multiple difficulty settings. Hard mode in PCE DDII is the shit.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    This really could use multiple difficulty settings. Hard mode in PCE DDII is the shit.
    Difficult mode on the JP FC DD2 is much harder than the US "Supreme Master", as well. JP Normal is closer to "Supreme Master", but with easier platforming. All difficulties in the JP version include all stages.

6. That new RCR is out, any impressions? It looks pretty good and I'm probably going to snag it during the launch sale.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    That new RCR is out, any impressions? It looks pretty good and I'm probably going to snag it during the launch sale.
    It beats the living crap out of Double Dragon, but that was the easy part.

It's interesting so far. It doesn't make the retro mistake of 'same everything, but you'll buy it' presumptions. Combat takes into account advancements in the genre. Like, you can push block (parry), double jump, have multiple specials, grabs etc.

What's odd though is it introduces all these cool things and then pulls a Metroid, putting you in the shoes of a level 1 character who can't do much more than punch and kick. So I'm dying to level up and earn skills.

It looks fantastic - they built a much livelier River City with great variations screen to screen. Lots of nice animations in the backgrounds, and with characters too. Not to mention the animation is hyper fluid and useful to gameplay? Now that blocking and push blocking are things, seeing an enemy's wind up is very welcome for fair defense.

Also looks like you can do 4-player games local, or online? There's an option for lobbies, but I haven't tried one yet. If it does, you know I'm up for a TNL group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.