Thread: The Shannara Chronicles

1. The Shannara Chronicles

How the hell have I not heard about this until now? I went to sleep with MTV on (some movie was playing last night when I was channel surfing for something to pass out to). When I woke up I was half listening when I heard "Ellcrys" and that perked me right up!

"The Shannara Chronicles is an upcoming American television fantasy/science fiction series based on the Shannara books by Terry Brooks and produced by MTV which is set to premiere on January 5, 2016 at 10/9c." -Wikipedia

So far I've seen three names attached to this that I trust: Jon Favreau, Alfred Gough, and Miles Millar.
    Here's the cast list. Seems fairly solid.

I have no idea what it's going to be like, but I've been beaming all day. The Wishsong of Shannara was the first fantasy novel I ever read (I was 8), and I followed all the books until a decade ago. As much as I enjoy Feist, Goodkind, and Martin (they're arguably all better writers than Brooks), none will ever hold as dear a place in my heart as Brooks.
    I'm afraid this will be the CW-style version of Game of Thrones, but I'm definitely on board to check it out.

Sword was the first real fantasy book I read. This is going to be on mtv? What the hell?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm afraid this will be the CW-style version of Game of Thrones, but I'm definitely on board to check it out.
    I'll watch it as long as they play Mmm Whatcha Say with every death.

4. I loved Sword of Shannara when I was 12-14, but it doesn't really hold up. I actually read a few of the sequels when they came out and, even as an uncritical teenaged reader, could feel the series losing steam. Tv is a different beast, though, so maybe it will work out ok translated to the screen. I'm probably going to end up watching this but expectations aren't particularly high.

5. For me, the Shannara books fell comfortably between the hacky shit of Piers Anthony and the boring shit (sorry guys) of The Lord of the Rings.

To be fair, I think Brooks was still in high school or something when he wrote Sword. His writing did get better, although I eventually stopped reading when there were so many books in the series I couldn't remember the overall story anymore.

7. He got a lot of mileage out of moving forward in time, enlisting descendants of previous characters, and telling the same story over and over again.
    But to this day I want a fucking moor cat.