Page 15 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The World is Shit; It's Fucking Shit

1. It's best to just try to find some way of turning it to your advantage. I'm glad I live in Canada.

How do you turn climate change to your advantage?

3. Sell boats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    There's nothing we can do about climate change. We're fucked. Might as well laugh.
    Knowing you're open about your schadenfreude complex I hope you actually get other people to believe this, too.

Nothing so far has outpaced the rate of human ingenuity enough to destroy the planet. My bigger concern isn't America—it's places like Asia and Indonesia where regulations are non-existent so they'll burn down entire rainforests to grow plants for palm oil. Even then we could just synthesize the stock of palm trees in stacked greenhouses and bottom-out the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I can't stand the "I'm not concerned with America; the savages of the third world, India, and China will be our ruin if they don't shape up" shit. America burns more energy per capita than any other country by a landslide. Be concerned.

The human ingenuity line is another pet peeve of mine. "We won't ruin the earth because we haven't ruined the earth" is a tautology. That's not something to be reassured by.

Don't say "everything will be just fine" and don't say "it's too late." Take the bus, carpool, walk, avoid plastic bags and other one-time-use plastic food and drink containers, and don't eat like an asshole. If you're acknowledging humanity's role in climate change but aren't making sacrifices because of some fatalistic belief one way or the other, then you're just as bad as the deniers. Maybe worse.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 26 Dec 2015 at 03:08 PM.

6. I won't die because I haven't died yet.

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I can't stand the "I'm not concerned with America; the savages of the third world, India, and China will be our ruin if they don't shape up" shit. America burns more energy per capita than any other country by a landslide. Be concerned.
    Technological breakthroughs hit countries with better infrastructure faster. Not that America should not contribute. In fact look at the great sea shares America has instituted to prevent the over fishing of its waters. A simple share program was rolled out and adopted quickly because of the infrastructure America has. Much harder in nations with looser oversight over its coasts.

So no--it has little to do with race or savages or whatever bullshit subtext you're shoehorning here.
    The human ingenuity line is another pet peeve of mine. "We won't ruin the earth because we haven't ruined the earth" is a tautology. That's not something to be reassured by.

Don't say "everything will be just fine" and don't say "it's too late." Take the bus, carpool, walk, don't buy disposable plastic, and don't eat like an asshole. If you're acknowledging humanity's role in climate change but aren't making sacrifices because of some fatalistic belief one way or the other, then you're just as bad as the deniers. Maybe worse.
    Except it has happened several times now. Sure we could fuck the planet irreversibly but the advent of renewable electric energy, diversified energy, and new envirofriendly products like lab grown meat (less animal farming destruction) and organic plastics like skrill will continue to change the benchmarks.

Be diligent but optimistic.

Probably worse. Most of this shit is caused by people following the money. If you're buying, you're feeding the beast.

Even if we're talking about china. Why do you think their industry exist.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Technological breakthroughs hit countries with better infrastructure faster. Not that America should not contribute. In fact look at the great sea shares America has instituted to prevent the over fishing of its waters. A simple share program was rolled out and adopted quickly because of the infrastructure America has. Much harder in nations with looser oversight over its coasts.
    Maybe it's harder for those countries to self-impose costly regulations because they haven't grown rich off of two hundred years of environmental exploitation.

Plus, it's not like America didn't have a hand in turning Indonesia, a country you cited as one of the irresponsible ones, into a dump.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 26 Dec 2015 at 03:32 PM.

10. Is your goal to have me admit America did bad short sighted things? I'm not arguing they didn't. Your liberal guilt may be justified but there's no going back and unringing that bell. Countries can still make a big impact by regulating their resources and tech actually makes that cheaper.

The idea is to yield more from less. Every year this not only gets easier but more options sprout up. I wish we'd move faster but we'll get there.