Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: The World is Shit; It's Fucking Shit

1. You guys do realize Climate Change is a hoax created to attack energy companies supporting Republican candidates?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Check out lab-grown beef AND impossible foods non-meat burgers (all plants that actually taste like meat). They will make our dependency on animal agriculture MUCH less messy overall. This is going to be proliferating in the next 2 years as lab grown beef gets its manufacturing costs to under $10 a burger and impossible foods finds its distribution. This is two very simple examples of RECENT breakthroughs that will have a very real impact.

Farm raised animals will still be around however but they will be local and a little more expensive. As a side note less cattle being farmed for mass consumption less CO2 emissions as a byproduct from that (both in machinery and the animals themselves).

Typically if we switch to less messy energy sources and the distribution of the power can be more even (hence, Tesla and its Powerwall) the cost and waste of energy production will be so much better than it is now. By a major factor. Google Ventures has a stake in pretty much everything from self driving cars to new age batteries to human genome projects.

So Bill Gates specifically has been working on new batteries not dependent on rare earth metals to operate. I read an article in the summer about an even newer battery that runs predominantly on salt and outperforms traditional lithiom-ion batteries by 10,000x (probably hyperbole).

The point is small changes like this, and breakthroughs like the one I mentioned in food production have MASSIVE ramifications. These are humans using todays technology to out-progress the issues. Because historically that's always what we've done. Hell most of the vegetables we enjoy today were unrecognizable in 18th century — carrots were basically roots, peaches were all pit and banana's had seed's and tough skin. We adapted them to meet the social challenges of those times.

The common thread between most doomsayer-reports is that they are using today's calamities and arguing our position from yesterdays breakthroughs. I remember listening to doomsayers in the early 2000's talk about how we have a good 10 years left before all fish are dead. Actually in the gulf and East coast the fish have been on the steady INCLINE due to fishing catch share programs the government instituted. Everyone gets a % of the overall shares they can catch in any given season. And so far all signs point to it working amazingly—mainly because fish apparently breed like fucking rabbits. Something most doomsayers never take in to account. Plus we also have farm raising now.

The trick is getting Japan, China and other large resource-rich nations to see the benefit of these programs and institute them on their coasts. Stuff like deforestation in nations without infrastructure and oversight is still an issue. That's why I mentioned less developed nations needing help but Robot got his liberal sensibilities all in a huffy about it.

Investment in improving living condition in slums will help — as poverty decreases this will become better. India's ground water there is so overburdened and polluted this is one area we could do better in. India's a tough one partially because its main religions believe in incarnation... if you live in a slum it's because you did something horrible in your previous life and deserve it. There are parallels to the religious right in America holding their beliefs above progress, too.

Maybe. I work with many of these people and have two good friends working at SpaceX and Google Ventures. Really smart people who are living their potential. They are going to get us to the future.

Like every doomsayer he's great at painting a picture of the issues we're facing and speaks a lot on the ineptitude of government to act. Every point in that article is "this is really hard!". But most of the solutions are independent of the government—hell even the fishing shares one was thought up by a liberal think-tank. The video/article also doesn't specifically give breaking points for the environmental disaster it's so adamant about. Basically there's a lot of smart people with a lot of money working on these issues and making interesting breakthroughs every year. Apparently a bunch of students invented a fridge that works without electricity.

My main problem with the pessimistic crowd is that it's pseudo-intellectual defeatism. "We've gone too far!" But what is too far? Why isn't it reversible? Why are you dismissing or not looking at the amazing things humans are inventing every year that can help?

Nobody is arguing the world isn't facing big challenges. Sea level rise, poverty, disease, bad food production practices etc. That isn't in dispute. What you're saying is we don't have the capacity as humans to solve them, when historically our ingenuity has proven otherwise. So I'm betting on that.
    Have you studied history?

3. Yes sure. It's a big topic though be more specific. If you mean technology I know quite a bit about it from 1840 (Ada Lovelace) to present
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 27 Dec 2015 at 07:52 PM.

4. Remember all those times in history when humans reversed climate change?
    We'll totally just do that again. No worries.

5. Acid rain and the ozone layer? Granted a smaller scale, but still a modern example.

History is full of failure, pain and death. It is full of colapsed societies. It is full of humans fucking shit up for a long long time before anyone solves anything.

It is stupid to look at technology as a logical series of events.

7. I believe in the ingenuity of man and that we'll survive as a species for thousands of years barring any cataclysmic events like a giant meteor wiping us out, but i think a few generations are going to face tremendous hardship due to our polluting and overpopulating. These things are treated as issues to be debated in the spirit of political jingoism, and it's going to take some real suffering before the people in power stop arguing and start working together to fix it. We have survived incredible hardship as a species to get to where we are, and now that we are all connected, we are in the strongest position ever to pull through.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    History is full of failure, pain and death. It is full of colapsed societies. It is full of humans fucking shit up for a long long time before anyone solves anything.

It is stupid to look at technology as a logical series of events.
    So your point is that people will continue to die? That there will be misery in the world? That technological breakthroughs don't have a clear path of inheritance? Sure? Never said anything about any of that.

9. The ozone layer is still fucked.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The ozone layer is still fucked.
    A 2005 IPCC review of ozone observations and model calculations concluded that the global amount of ozone has now approximately stabilized and is predicted to increase in the next decade or so.