Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: System Shock 3

System Shock 3

http://www.othersidetease.com/strawberry.php

Otherside Entertainment is composed of a lot of ex-Looking Glass people. I can't think of a better group to do another System Shock. Here's hoping they and Night Dive have the finances to make this as good as it deserves to be.

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS3.png 
Views:	1191 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	77954  

2. Wow, I think I did a triple take at the thread title.

Cautiously optimistic? I'm too stunned to really have an opinion.

3. Interesting. I will probably reserve my hype until we see how otherside's Underworld sequel comes out.

4. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Wow, I think I did a triple take at the thread title.

Cautiously optimistic? I'm too stunned to really have an opinion.
    This pretty much goes for me as well. Wow.

I mean, SS2 is probably in my top 5 of all time. Cautiously optimistic? Yeah, that sounds about right, but obviously we need way more to go on.

Waiting to hear about any potential Ken Levine (probably unlikely)/Eric Brosius (probably)/Terri Brosius (SHODAN, almost definitely) involvement.

BTW, while looking up info about this game I ran across this Ploygon article that says that Night Drive Studios is doing a remake of the original System Shock. If you look at the before/after shots, it looks amazingly loyal (even though it's just shots of the very first room you begin in). I'm actually pretty excited about this, as I've tried giving SS a go several times but always find the interface too clunky to hang with (even with the recently-released "enhanced" edition). Finally getting to play it with (presumably) modern FPS controls (and, of course, updated visuals) should be pretty rad.

If successful I assume a remake of SS2 is possible as well, but considering all of the fan-made mods that have popped up over the years to enhance the visuals, SS2 has clearly aged way better than the original game has. A remake would still be cool, however.

This timing of the SS3 announcement is so weird, considering the fact that I just ordered a SS2 shirt from a website literally just last night:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dolemite; 09 Dec 2015 at 02:41 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. I think it's highly unlikely this will be a AAA release, given the absence of a major publisher. I'm expecting a Kickstarter campaign, in fact.

That's ok. When you look at games like SOMA it feels like you could mke a pretty good System Shock without a AAA budget, but I'm just reminding myself of this and keeping myself in check.

6. Countdown is over. The site is now live, such as it is. No real info yet, nor any mention of Kickstarter, but you can sign up for a newsletter/take a survey and hear the following audio file (which seems to confirm that Terri Brosius is voicing SHODAN again):
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Eurogamer infered some VR-ness about the teaser, which is about as exciting as this could get, given the lack of star power on the developer side.

8. I'm not exactly disappointed by Otherside being the developer. They have a legitimate legacy with the series and while they're unproven, they'd still be on my shortlist, especially considering Irrational's current state.

My real worry is more that they have enough money to do something of a size, scope, and ambition befitting a series with such a legacy.

how is system shock compared tot he bio shocks. i heard its very similar except for setting.

10. Lots of similarities in terms of gameplay, presentation, and narrative, yeah.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 14 Dec 2015 at 08:11 PM.