Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: System Shock 3

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The reason is apparently that they just didn't think it could live up to fans expectations without a significant increase in budget.
    I don't think kickstarter makes sense for them. The way the project has fallen apart doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
    Kickstarter is for getting projects off the ground, not for rescuing them from mismanagement.
    What they need is a 'kickfinisher', which I don't think would go over very well.
    I kind of disagree with that. Games using KS for finishing are way more reliable than pitches that are just some concept art and a dream. Plenty of projects have gone to KS at >50% and done quite well. Gianna Sisters, Freedom Planet, FTL, etc.

I also don't think this project was badly mismanaged. They lost their publisher, and the revenue stream they were expecting from their first game, so they were operating on razor thin margins.

They were clearly behind target on assets and one developer said he though they"d have had to cut the game's scope down. But that sort of thing is so common these days it's unfair to really characterize it as mismanagement.

2. I wonder what they would actually use the money for at this point. Middleware licenses? Outsourced art? Beta testers?
    I was under the impression that this was a very small team doing everything.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wonder what they would actually use the money for at this point. Middleware licenses? Outsourced art? Beta testers?
    I was under the impression that this was a very small team doing everything.
    "Payroll" is the obvious answer. They just needed more time. Though outsourcing some art might have helped too, as I think art was the big hang up.

I don't think the team was THAT small, either. Maybe 30 people or so.

4. That makes a lot more sense. I guess that's considered a small team by modern AAA standards. Keeping that many people on payroll for another year or more would take millions.

5. So the game is definitely kaput? No chance someone else could eventually swoop in and take over, ala Duke Nukem Forever (bad example, I know)?

6. CricStands

CricStands
    Cricket, the heartbeat of millions of crazy fans all around the world. People wait 4 long years to see the International Cricket Teams playing for glory. It’s not that simple. It’s about the largest cricket event “ICC Cricket World Cup 2019“. Not an easy game. Here we have plans to bring for you something special about the Cricket WorldCup 2019.

7. So you're saying there's hope, CricStands?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    So the game is definitely kaput? No chance someone else could eventually swoop in and take over, ala Duke Nukem Forever (bad example, I know)?
    I'd say chances of that are less likely than the prospects they had selling it to a publisher while it was still alive. No official statements have been made yet. I suspect Otherside might continue to exist on paper for the purpose of maintaining it's IP rights.

9. "In development" is probably a stretch, but it does seem like Tencent is going to rescue the project in some way. I don't think they've staffed back up yet though.