Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shin Gojira (2016) aka Godzilla: Resurgence

1. It's Evangelion if Godzilla was mankind's first contact with the angels and we had no fucking clue what to do.

2. Exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Related:

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Your opinion is good too Dole, I guess.

5. Saw this yesterday. Not much to add but it was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    It's Evangelion if Godzilla was mankind's first contact with the angels and we had no fucking clue what to do.
    You sound like a teenager.

Eva was an adult retelling of the orginal godzilla and the later super robot shows it spawned.

7. Now who sounds like a teenager?

More thoughts written on my phone

This is mostly a great film. The first thing that grabbed me was the use of music or lack there of. Focusing on offices and buracracy focused the suspense like a laser. You knew something was coming, but what?

The buracracy element also gave a rare added bit of realism to the genre. This is probably how this or any other natural disaster goes down.

I also liked that this was handled like a horror film. The locations were kept to a minimum. Enclosed areas were used to keep costs down. The monster was amazingly kept a mystery. The nature of this godzilla was unknown. So much so I was not sure if the first monster was him or what he would fight.

Also this can be seen as a response from Japan to us horror. So many us movies fall back to man being the real monster. The Japanese instead hold it together and almost all of the characters are likeable.

It is also interesting that their is some critique of jp and us buracracy and a hint of pro fascist thought. But that seems to be inherent in super robot anime and it's relationship to male fiction going back to ww2 and prior.

The only thing really thing keeping it from being superb are minor issues like the crack team of nerds or the flat American sterotypes. Very animey in that regard. But both were handled well and not as bad as they could have been.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I think it is worth watching by anyone that likes good movies.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Now who sounds like a teenager?
    Your bitch of a mother

10. Heh heh heh.