Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RPGs, what you like, what you hate

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I hate perma-missables, especially when they have achievements attached to them. I also hate Japanese character designs. It's what's really kind of turned me off to JRPGs. The clothes are ridiculous, and I just can't get into games where characters have huge clown feet or schoolgirl outfits or some other faggot-chan (are we still using that term? Is it still dracula?) designs. Ugh.
    Do you hate all of it, or just the newer final fantasy stuff?

Because the genesis jrpgs had some of that too, but it was muted by the 16 bit graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I have a hard time playing any RPG without an aggro management mechanism. Without one, battles seem so sloppy and random.

I also can't stand bad enemy AI. Why do characters one hit away from death so often get a pass in these games? Enemies pass by them to get to the buff dude with a high counter stat. I'm right here, kill me now.

I love when RPGs have expressive camera movement during dialogue scenes. Quasi-RPG Vagrant Story is "shot" brilliantly for example. Too bad there are only about five of these and three are Paper Mario games.
    Man, smart rpg AI would be infuriating. Like, everything would attack the healer that usually has shitty armor and the res spell.

Yeah, man, you are correct on the camera work. The bad camera work of in game scenes in japanese rpgs is striking. Like that star ocean game on the 360.

I have no idea why it is so bad so often. Japan is great at framing shots in animation. They can't hire one of those guys? How about watch a tv show and practice story boarding this stuff?

3. I just want iterative Xenogears over and over. Give me weird religious shit all the time.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Man, smart rpg AI would be infuriating. Like, everything would attack the healer that usually has shitty armor and the res spell.
    Not technically a JRPG, but the AI in Fire Emblem games, even the SNES ones, does exactly this! You can't hang a magic user in FE like you can't hang a piece in chess.

Re: camera, the entire genre is still overly reverential of Dragon Quest and Ultima. It's not just the mechanics of JRPGs that have refused to evolve.

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Not technically a JRPG, but the AI in Fire Emblem games, even the SNES ones, does exactly this! You can't hang a magic user in FE like you can't hang a piece in chess.
    One more thing that I appreciate in RPGs: permanent character death. This is one of the (many) reasons I like Fire Emblem so much -- lots of characters to recruit, but if you don't watch yourself there are actually consequences. Dynamic progression is a lot more interesting than 'point a to point b and maybe reload if you get a game over'.

6. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I just want iterative Xenogears over and over. Give me weird religious shit all the time.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by koda View Post
    One more thing that I appreciate in RPGs: permanent character death. This is one of the (many) reasons I like Fire Emblem so much -- lots of characters to recruit, but if you don't watch yourself there are actually consequences. Dynamic progression is a lot more interesting than 'point a to point b and maybe reload if you get a game over'.
    People say they like this, but does anyone ever take the consequences? Or does everyone just swear at the tv and reload their save?

8. I roll with it if party members die in FE (I had zero axe users for a good stretch of Awakening), but restart when recruitable guest characters die before I enlist them if they look useful or cute.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    or cute.
    Well, yeaahh.

10. This may sound sacrilegious, but I'm at the point in my life where I despise plain old turn based battle systems in RPGs. For me, it's an antique game play model that should've gone the way of the dinosaur after the SNES era, and it reeks of laziness. All of my favorite RPGs contain some sort of active fighting system that makes the player do something besides just clicking attack/defend/magic. A good battle system keeps me awake and engaged after a million battles. The Tales Series, Shadow Hearts, Star Ocean, The Mario RPG series, Xenoblade Chronicles etc...are all examples of offering some sort of active engagement that I like to see in my battles. Honestly, I didn't even find Bravely Default's battle system to be very engaging, and that's one of the best turn based battle systems I've seen in quite some time.

I also despise RPGs with convoluted upgrade/leveling up/weapons management systems. For me, the most important thing in an RPG is to offer a fascinating story, a plethora of fantastical environments/characters, an active battle system, and an upgrade system that doesn't take a PhD to understand.

EDIT - Also, love RPGs that heal and restore MP to all your party members at save points. Or even better, heal automatically after battle like Xenoblade.