Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPGs, what you like, what you hate

For me, a big problem with the turn based mechanic is that most of the battles do not require thought.

For me, the best was Lunar EB on the sega cd. I remember having to change up how I fought each time I entered a new area. Maybe you were destroying with the fire magic in one area then you get to an area where that didn't work and you had to try something else. I also enjoyed the Borgan fight. You were forced to select each move very carefully otherwise everyone would die. And the attacks, magic and equipment were just complicated enough.

Though, admittedly it was still a flawed game in that some of the higher tiered magic was useless (maybe I'm thinking of the PS1 remake) and Hero just about always used poe sword.

2. I'm the exact opposite of MP. I don't care about story at all anymore. I try, but I'm skipping all dialogue by hour three. I loved Hexyz Force but can't even name a character from it, much less tell you what their role in the story was.

With story out of the picture, the only thing left to play a JRPG for is their
    Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    convoluted upgrade/leveling up/weapons management systems
    I did stick around for Last Story's story, though. And I was with Xenoblade for its first couple acts--right up until Anime Palace derailed it.

3. Can everyone remove "for me" from their lexicon?
    We understand that you're sharing your opinion; there's no need to qualify it as so. imo.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    People say they like this, but does anyone ever take the consequences? Or does everyone just swear at the tv and reload their save?
    Yeah, it depends. In Fire Emblem games I'll often take the death, but may reload if it's a guest character I wanted to recruit or if one of my top favorites dies. All said, even if I do reload because of it now and then I still appreciate that it's there.

But there is also hardcore mode in the hack-and-slash ARPGs that I play where you get one character life and if you die it's over. There's no way to reload or reverse it in those cases, and I played the shit out of hardcore in Diablo 2. I've lost many level 90+ characters and it's hundreds of hours down the drain in some of those cases. It's made me want to put my chair through my monitor. But I continue to love it because it feels so damn rewarding to see yourself near the top of a hardcore ladder, and PVP in hardcore is so satisfying; knowing that each time you take a dude out you're absolutely wrecking their day.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Can everyone remove "for me" from their lexicon?
    We understand that you're sharing your opinion; there's no need to qualify it as so. imo.
    If this was true, professor would not be my nickname.

Some of you have a very hard time telling the difference between opinions and facts.

6. Some of us have a tendency to relay opinion as if it were fact. I'd say Gaming Discussion should be exempt from that inference, but the dinosaur blows that plan all to hell.

I can see how the high correlation would make that difficult.

8. I can't fucking stand RPGs unless they're something really special.

Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden is the king of the genre. King of writing, combat, battle systems, music, graphics, fun, 10/10s all across the board.

I enjoyed how malleable the world was in the earlier Fallout games, so often in RPGs there's a very fixed A Event to B Event to C Event with very little player agency in the middle.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 13 Dec 2015 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden is the king of the genre. King of writing, combat, battle systems, music, graphics, fun, 10/10s all across the board.
    More a fan of Shaq-Fu myself, but to each his own.

10. See, you're out of your element. BSUAJG is a legitimate RPG. Perhaps the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!