Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2016: Hyper Solid Shooting

1. 06) Secret Agent/Sly Spy (AC)
    Data East side-scroller that blatantly rips off a few things from James Bond 007, but does a decent job of it and has a fitting soundtrack. Not an overly long game, but quite fun anyway.

Most of it is run-n-gun action, although the first scene has the agent parachuting in and fighting off hostile skydivers.

The motorcycle stage reminded me of something similar in Rolling Thunder 3, just not nearly as well done. You don't get to change lanes during the battle- though you can tilt the bike to dodge bullets. To keep it from being a total yawn, some flying enemies come out and can be taken down with diagonal fire.

One stage set on a ship allows various routes to be taken. Keep moving right, or go up the ladder and zipline down later? Taking enough "G" items gets the Golden Gun, which has unlimited ammo for a few seconds and simply rips through everything.

SA does feel like a 007 title except the hero is American, looking more like John Travolta than Timothy Dalton (the 007 actor at the time of the game's release) in the cutscenes. Apparently a clever move to keep the legal sharks at bay.

2. 4. Rise of the Tomb Raider

Pretty decent. The combat took too long to warm up (it's especially weak coming from Uncharted 3 on Crushing), and I wish there were more side tombs (or, even better, more puzzles in the style of the side tombs in the main game instead), but this is a good step forward from the 2013 game.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Aug 2016 at 11:01 AM.

3. 2. Deathsmiles 2X (360)
    I remembered how much fun this game was and thanks to Nick's gift of an extra HD I got it again, and realized I forgot how to play. After re-aquainting myself with the controls I got to Satan Claus in one credit and all stages at Level 3 before I sucked it on a few silly movements at the end. I continued but it was right at the end so I'm counting it. One of my favorite Cave games hands down. The slowdown is real, and I think that's why I like it, there's just enough time to navigate the massive amount of shit on screen while planning what to do next, and the score bonuses are loop-able if you do it right. Silly looking bosses and premise aside, it's a top notch shooter.

4. 3. Shovel Knight (PS4)
    Finally got around to finishing this! What a great game. I really enjoyed the look and feel, from the music that was always entertaining to the fun characters and environments. Nice challenge, too. Not hard to the point of throwing things, but it definitely had tough points and keeps you on your toes. The extra weapons were fun to use and made traversal fun instead of just necessary. Overall a really solid game, will go through the New Game + mode to find that one sub weapon I missed. Played a few stages as Plague Knight as well and he's very different, which is great. I love how they went the extra mile to not just retread the same levels with a new character. Will finish his playthrough as well.

5. 4.) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Steam)

This is actually my second playthrough, having beaten the PSP version a few years back. Now I can finally, FINALLY play the best version of Second Chapter and properly transfer my clear data. XSEED did a hell of a job whipping this game into shape for modern systems, by the by.

Velocity 2X (Vita) - Like the first game it has mediocre artwork, excellent electronica music, and addictive design. The added platforming element keeps it from being a rehash.

Unravel (PS4) - I bought it expecting it to be gorgeous with okay gameplay so it was a nice surprise to have such well made puzzles. This did a better job of capturing that Another World-type experience for me than Limbo and other similar modern games.

7. 5. Magic Duels

Beat the story stuff through the core campaign and Battle for Zendikar. A year or so ago some friends and I picked up Commander decks and, since then, we've all gotten back into Magic. As a result I've been chipping away at this a few nights a week, lately. Magic itself is pretty awesome when you're playing the right format or when you're playing with friends who are all in the same ballpark commitment-wise. These Duels games are pretty decent starting points for learning the game's rules and they're kinda fun to mess with, but the campaign is pretty barebones and the scenarios are kinda whitebread.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Aug 2016 at 11:01 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's not glitched, it's just that the way to achieve it is pretty stupid. I have provided the solution in the Fallout 4 thread.

1 - Fallout 4 (PS4) I've completed the game 100%. The Benevolent Leader trophy took all day to complete.
    2 - Uncharted 1 : The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4). I might come back to this game soon to complete the time runs.

3 - Uncharted 2: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4) I have to goof around with a couple of chapters to get some of the treasures that I'd missed. I'm pretty much done with this game though.

9. 6. SUPERHOT

It's alright. The visual style and novel mechanics start strong, but things stay simple throughout and start to wear thin by the end of the short campaign. Endless mode doesn't really elevate things from what I've tried, but I haven't played a whole lot of it.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Aug 2016 at 11:03 AM.

10. 07) Tomb Raider (2013, PC)
    Finished with an overall completion of 84%. Will go back and clear the rest of the areas sometime and get the few weapon upgrades I missed.

Adding FarCry 3 type open-world mechanics to Tomb Raider really worked. Being able to go back for relics you miss is nice. Weapon upgrades, the climbing axe, rope arrows, and the rope ascender are useful. Sometimes you might have to swing an object to break a wall, or some other reason. I hadn't really gotten into the older TR titles (the control in the first one was somewhat wonky), but really enjoyed this.

The amount of combat is just right- more of it when you're on the story path, but limited to occasional encounters when you're just out hunting for relics/salvage etc.

Flame arrows came in handy against some small, fast animals like rats and rabbits. Not a very big AOE but enough to help. QTEs are a bit overused early on but are scarce afterward.

Not bad. I think I'll get Rise of the Tomb Raider sometime soon.